What do YOU want to see in the next image?

S

Speedy2206

THIS IS A LONG THREAD, BUT PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ IT ALL :)
OK guys so I've been busy at work preparing a new image for you lot; and I must say I'm pretty impressed with what i've come up with so far - I'm not going to release this image any time soon as it still needs to be modded quite a bit, and needs alot of testing.

Basically its a heavily modified enigma image - which at the moment has the title of "enigmaX reloaded". Now this isnt just your regular standard enigma image - this has been fully customized for us lot.

First of all, I have been able to get a "First time setup" function up and running. This basically means that when you first flash the image and start it up, you are presented with a series of 'setup' screens. These screens allow you to customize the image to your personal preferences. An example of what can be done is asking your for the IP address that you would like to use, without you having to go through all the different menus.

Next up is a script that I have written myself, which will convert your neutrino service.xml files on-the-fly. This basically means that you can now FTP your service.xml and bouquet.xml files over to your box and place them into the normal directory (/var/tuxbox/config/zapit). The first time setup wizard will recognize the files, and automatically convert them into the correct format. This saves you having to do a scan.

On the subject of scans, this image has all 3 scanning methods combined into one; so you dont have to play about with cables.xml and scan.conf files. The options available to you are "CableUK Sym6952", "CableUK Sym6887", and "CableUK Bruteforce". The scans with enigma images are alot faster compared to neutrino, and scanning with enigma has always seemed to pick up more channels.

Another great thing to note about this image is that THE INFOBAR HAS NOW BEEN FIXED; thanks to a great help from Cydine, who successfully managed to find the fault and provide a remedy. I can confirm that this image now has FULL EPG. Its also thought that front row may be fixed, but this is not definate as of yet.

OK, so now we get down to the "bonus features" of this image.

First of all, I'd like to point out that all the games have already been installed for you and properly set up; so theres no need for you to start messing around with FTP and files. In fact, alot of the "added extras" you like are already included for you :)

Next up, is the brand new version of Tuxwetter. This plugin allows you to receive weather forecasts from around the globe. You can also view live webcam images from your local area, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

I've also added for you the latest version of TuxMail. TuxMail allows you to read and write emails from your TV, provided you are using a POP3 compatible email account. You can set this up via the on-screen "first time setup" menu, so you dont have to fiddle around with config files, etc. If you opt to turn on the tuxmail plugin, then a message will appear on your screen whenever a new message arrives.

To accompany TuxMail, I've also thrown in TuxNews and TuxText. The tuxnews plugin has been adjusted so that it shows you all the latest threads from the world of digital website; so you are always kept informed. The tuxtext "teletext software decoder" also appears to be functioning quicker and more stable than ever before.

For fun, I've also included the VNC client, which allows you to remotely view and control your PC/Laptop/PDA screen. For networked houses, theres also a "Wake-on-Lan" feature so you can remotely switch on your PC whilst its in 'sleep mode'.

Now this is where things start to get interesting. I have thrown in a couple of features which have been talked about as "not possible" before ;)

The first brand new feature I have included is a web browser. Yes that's right, a FULLY FUNCTIONING WEB BROWSER. You can now browse websites from your television screen. It supports javascript and java, as well as macromedia flash and shockwave. And best of all, ITS ENGLISH, and its WORKING!

The other feature I have included is a WEB SERVER. Yes, a web server... to run your very own websites. Its based on an Apache library file, and operates on port 80. This therefore obviously replaces the previous "web interface". Not to worry tho, as the web server can be turned off if necessary. The web interface is also accessible via port 69 when the web server is enabled.

You will also be pleased to know that the image now has a FULL MOVIE PLAYER. This means that you dont need to go through "File mode" to play your video clips. Its very stable and has a nice interface.

For people who love recording, you'll be interested to know that you can now start and stop recording by pressing the blue then red buttons. This image currently supports recording to a server (for example ngrab or dboxwinserver). I don't know if its compatible with direct file recording at this stage.

I can also boast about "stutter free mp3 playback".

Right ok, down to the picture quality. I've knicked a few files from gav's nextgen image, and I can now say that the picture quality is superb - one of the best. The image has 3 camDs for you to choose from - evocamd, newcamd, and evocamd alternate. The default is newcamd, but can be changed via the built-in menus. You can also now change the uCode directly on-screen, without having to FTP and rename files, etc.

There are two skins available for you to choose from - the enigmaX default style, and neutrino1 style. The default style is a small but compact skin, which only displays the information you need - it doesnt obstruct your television viewing. The neutrino1 style is a cut down version of the usual neutrino interface that most of you are used to. You can freely choose between the style you want to use.

There are still a few things that I need to work on, and a few things that I want to programme. The whole thing also needs to be thoroughly tested; and a select few users will be asked if they want to try this image early next week.

The things that I aim to work on are:

** VoIP interaction - Get an alert on your television screen whenever you receive a call on Skype, sipgate, or any other voip/sip compatible provider.

** Auto image upgrading - Get an alert on your television screen when a newer image gets released, and download the image direct to your box for flashing.

Before I can even begin on programming the new things I need to get the rest of the stuff properly sorted and fully ready.

In the meantime, I would like to know...
What do YOU want to see in the next image?

What can the image creators of this forum do for YOU? What features and aspects do you want to see in the next released image?

Drop your thoughts into this thread and I'll have a read a perhaps maybe even incorporate some of them. I will work closely with gav to provide you with both a enigma AND neutrino image; which works and acts just the way YOU want it.

Let me know your ideas, and I'll see what I can do.
Liam.

Sh*t didnt realize i'd written so much! This should go down as the longest thread in history! :p
Let me know what stuff you want in a new image guys and I'll see what I can do :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds totally awesome !!

Cannot believe the commitment and dedication you guys are providing...keep up the great work guys! :)

liam you have shocked me mate so many features wow thats all i can say what else do you need NOTHING M8

wow

cheers liam and welldone m8

thanks mate
sounds good, but i dont have a dbox,

one thing i can say, you might want to bulliet point the extras

if you know what i mean

gav12345 said:
liam you have shocked me mate so many features wow thats all i can say what else do you need NOTHING M8

wow

cheers liam and welldone m8

Well I wanted to keep it to myself but I just had to let it out :) Gav I was hoping you could do a clone of my image but a Neutrino version with all the features and stuff... ? The coding I've done should work in neutrino if I changed the paths, etc.

I think to redo that list (which is comprehensive) at this stage would take far too much valuable time. It looks armed to the teeth and that should be enough to make anyone happy! :)

What do we want? Heck, I didn't even know I wanted all that other stuff, but it sounds amazing. :)

The only thing I can think of, if this image doesn't already have it, is proper NTSC support for movie (TS) files and a VLC function for DIVX/XVID playback.

Oh, and if you could add an option to make the image stutter and freeze from time to time, that would be great. It just doesn't feel like a Dbox without it. :)

But seriously, it sounds like yet another incredible image, and although I had more or less decided to stick with Gav's latest Next Gen image, this one sounds too good to miss. Maybe I should get a 2nd box. I actually nearly made the switch to Dreambox a little while ago, but that idea has never been further from my mind than it's been since this latest batch of outstanding images. The UK Dbox scene owes a debt of gratitude to you an Gav for spoiling us rotten.

Hi Liam

sounds like the perfect image to me - my girlfriend would love it as well as I wouldn't have to play with the box everynight.lol. I would be happy to test for you also.

One thing the Neutrino images have in their favour is that you can change the screen size/position in the settings by adjusting the top left and bottom right corners.

In enigma I couldn't do this and so my tele seemed to crop the screen image ever so slightly but enough to get on my nerves.

The only other thing that I like to see is direct file recordings (CIFS) but I suppose if there is some way of recording then that’s fine.

How about a way of automatically installing different skins while connected to the web? Don't know if it can be done but it sounds good!

cheers

This image sounds like it is going to be great, I have always tried yours and Gavs Images as soon as they are released on here, the last 2 have been brill the enigma and the nextgen I think it has a lot to do with them both useing Newcamd which is very sagem friendly.

It would be an honer to test this image but if that is not to be I will look forward to the final release of this.

I think both you and Gav are great Ambassadors to this forum and look forward to many great images from the 2 of you.

Long live the Dbox2

Fermec

SectionSD

I read somewhere of a new sectionsd that will add channels on the fly to services
this would be good in these troubled times of moves and changes

Gsxr said:
I read somewhere of a new sectionsd that will add channels on the fly to services
this would be good in these troubled times of moves and changes

hi m8

yes there is a new sectionsd coming out i dont think its finalised yet but i think its nearly there looking forward to trying it though

cheers

New Images......."Browse" feature???

Hope this suggestion isn't too ridiculous, but it would be nice to have a "Browse" feature built into an image. The N*L boxes have this, where pressing the "Browse" button brings up the "now-and-next" EPG info for what you are currently watching, then pressing the channel up-and-down buttons allows you to browse through each channel's now-and-next info without interrupting what you are watching.

I use Sportster 1.72, where the browse function can be mimicked by pressing a channel number to bring up its now-and-next info. then paging through, but you have to be quick as after a few seconds the box will tune into whatever channel you are displaying the now-and-next info for !

liam i think its a good idea to put in hidden or locked bouquets m8 hope thats not to much to ask but i think its important m8

cheers

well done mate

Liam,

Cheers for the new image. Everything at one place. This would save lot of time and hastle free installation of image for newbies.

The features you have provided in the image are absolutely great. I'm chuffed ;) m8.

However I would like to have utility that generates text file with log of what channels been watched and for how long it was been watched with date, start time and end time. If you know what I mean.

I'v been waiting for your call over last weekend to test your new image on one of my nokia dbox intel 2x.

Cheers m8

liam you have been busy i like what your saying question is it possible for subtitles my old mand hard of hearing he has a box but has to turn tv LOUD is this being silly????

Liam,
There's no stone unturned!!
the only ridiculous thing i can think to add is a selection of boot logo-s to customise your start up!!

apart from that its all there and sounds like a belter!

sorry - should have said i.e football crests - for the scots amongst us there's only really 2 - or you could just have larsson to annoy the other half!! ha ha

OK thanks for the comments so far. The "wants" list at the moment looks like this:

--- CIFS direct file recording
--- Automatic installation of skins (online)
--- Add channels to services on the fly
--- "Browse" feature
--- Hidden/Locked bouquets + parental
--- Software Subtitles
--- Selection of boot logos

Out of the above list, these are the ones that I am pleased to say are able to be added to the long list for features for my new image:

--- CIFS direct file recording
--- Add channels to services on the fly
--- Hidden/Locked bouquets + parental
--- Software Subtitles

I will get to work on coding for those and update the image accordingly.

These features:

--- Automatic installation of skins (online)
--- "Browse" feature
--- Selection of boot logos

are very possible - however I will need to read up a little more of the tuxbox website for a few details of how I could implement features such as those.

Needless to say, this image will NOT run on a 16MB nokia box - so if you have one of those boxes then dont bother waiting for this image; it simply wont work.

Cheers,
Liam :)

liam your a STAR m8 a GEM

keep up the good work you make me feel like retiring from the image modding m8

lol

cheers

Back