What do you do to keep your home safe?

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never really been one for home security, but I've recently had something happen and it made me think I'm not safe at all really plus I see local break ins daily being a glazier

firstly I bought
cctv 3 cameras (arlo pro wireless) front and back (visible from phone)
miGuard burglar alarm, will add external sirens (controllable from phone)
I lock all doors and windows and remove keys (I used to leave keys in and visable)
security lights out back soon to be front too
door alarms on sheds
bolts, padlocks and rim lock on gates
police security officer advised cheap trellis on back fence to deter anyone climbing over fence, would break make a noise and hopefully scare them away
I think thats it lol
What do you do to secure your home/garden is safe ? no matter how small, I'm sure any tips would help me and others reading this:)

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned internal lights/radio on timeswitches when you're out or on holiday.
Your right @nara
Front room light I can control from phone, and always leave radio on when out for dogs anyway :)

Still planning CCTV but after a few visits from the "Do as they likeys" I noticed a few cameras appearing in the lane as well as some trellis as you mention.

Burglar paint is also useful. I'd cement smashed bottle necks into the wall but it's probably banned in case it harms someone trying to rob me.

No neighbourhood watch round your way @Rat ? Few signs in the street might deter an opportunist if there's none, small discount on your house insurance if there is one & you're in it.
HH.

Reactions: Rat
Just looked that up and no neighbourhood watch in my road.. I'll look into that though thanks mate :)

Not much security, i do have alarm system sitting in the box for the last 7yrs lol
window and doors always locked with keys hidden
I do have Hive lights/plug in kitchen/living room/hallway which i use when out during the day and won`t be returning till its dark or if i`m on holiday all controlled by mobile app.
I do close blinds so you cannot see in completely during the day when out
My house is on main road which helps and at the back of the house the houses at the side street can see my back which also helps.
I have a mini baseball bat & wheel lock by my bed
On the back door handle i have a small block of wood balanced on it so if anyone trys the handle it will fall on the floor this way i know if anybody has tried it.

Last edited:
I do close blinds so you cannot see in completely during the day when out

I was advised by a Police Crime Prevention officer that this was one of the worst things you can do. It's a sure sign that the occupants are not at home.

I was advised by a Police Crime Prevention officer that this was one of the worst things you can do. It's a sure sign that the occupants are not at home.
I disagree lots of people don`t have them wide open,
they are open but only can see the living room wall, you cannot not see if anyone is sitting down or in there.
What does he suggest to leave them wide open so they see no one is in? Best he stick too what he knows best which is NOT Crime Prevention lol :eek:

got a scary looking dog. no one going to come into the yard when they see this fella on patrol.

Tip,
When your away glue a stanley blade to the back of your backdoor handle, any attempts will leave lots of DNA to go at

Well (cough cough) that's what I've been told (cough)

I have the fullarmory
CCTV
Patio door locks
Alarm
Low level dawn/dusk rear light
Harder than the Crystal Maze
It only takes the one burglary and sentimental items go missing to change your attitude to security. If someone wants to get it they will regardless but it's all about opportunist looking for easy targets. Once they see it's gonna be a right t+at to get in they will move swiftly on to someones property who has non of the above.

Last edited:
I have
CCTV
Alarm
security lights
time switch for lights
padlocks on gates
I lock all doors and windows and remove keys
but no neighbourhood watch in my road

depending on the type of locks . lots can be snapped or bumped easy so make sure you have good locks

Mine can't be bumped ,their not dear, tbh, the vast majority of scumbags prefer the spade or brick through the patio door or kitchen window. If you can make your place look like there's someone or security lights camera's warning signs they tend not to bother. Like I said, it's all about prevention, making them move on to a far easier targets or getting a few mugshots or a bit of DNA (stanley blade !cough!)

if they want in they'll get in. If they get in while I'm in ? may the Lord be with them

7 foot fence all round top foot is trellis covered in black grease. Id love the front of the house to be more neighbor friendly at 5 foot but nah worked for what i have and it's staying with me. No one has ever reported it so it stays.
Fence has 2 gates they carn't remove all welded coach bolts with Yale baron steel locks. Fence panels are bolted in.
Garage and Shed both have independent alarms.
House is alarmed with window and door sensors downstairs because of pets.
Upstairs Window sensors and PIR.
Only time i worry is holidays, ive 2 Staffys and your not getting by them and no one has ever attempted to.

I feel pretty secure to be honest.

@ ferret what you hiding pmsl
me nowt apart from dogs

@ ferret what you hiding pmsl
me nowt apart from dogs

Nowt other than mi dodgy android box lol

Im not even in an area thats got a bad reputation mate. The fence is to protect my motor bikes mate, their anchored to the garage floor with some pretty hefty kit.

Back