What do I need to know?

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hey people,
after a right ball ache ive finally got my wii sorted and chipped, (well will have friday, thanks highlander) I now need to know a few things.
  • Ive heard that i can brick the wii if i try to play ntsc games, is this true? and if so how do i check them so this doesnt happen?
  • My wii is on 3.2, i understand i shouldnt update it, will my wii try to do it automatically or always ask?
  • Ive seen on the newsgroups i can download roms from snes and gc, what do i need to make these work? ( i have a 2gb sd card)
  • And what is the wii homebrew channel about and how do i install it?
  • and is there anyway i can get the internet browser without buying it?

I know these will probably have been asked before but i want an upto date answer so i can start enjoying my wii. thanks in advance guys:)

hey people,
after a right ball ache ive finally got my wii sorted and chipped, (well will have friday, thanks highlander) I now need to know a few things.
  • Ive heard that i can brick the wii if i try to play ntsc games, is this true? and if so how do i check them so this doesnt happen?

Yes but only if they have an update on them and then it is only a semi brick(duplicate channels)you will still be able to play your wii.you need a program called brickblocker to run your iso through before you burn it.wich will remove the update.
  • My wii is on 3.2, i understand i shouldnt update it, will my wii try to do it automatically or always ask?

it will ask
  • Ive seen on the newsgroups i can download roms from snes and gc, what do i need to make these work? ( i have a 2gb sd card)

you will need the twighlight hack or the homebrew channel to run the emulators
  • And what is the wii homebrew channel about and how do i install it?

The homebrerw channel is a channel that you install on your wii so you can launch all your emu`s or other apps,like wad installer for your VC games(there are loads of other usefull apps for the wii aswell)
  • and is there anyway i can get the internet browser without buying it?

Yep you will need to google(Opera.Internet.Channel-WiiShop-PAL-Wii-WaLMaRT torrent)then install it using wad installer from the homebrew channel.

the easiest way to instal the homebrew channel is using the iso file for it just burn the iso to a dvd make sure its the right iso for your region wii pal,ntsc etc then put the apps for it on your sd card and away you go,
    take a look here lots of info on homebrew stuff and how to install ........h**tp://wiibrew.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page

I know these will probably have been asked before but i want an upto date answer so i can start enjoying my wii. thanks in advance guys:)

Hope this helps you out,it might take a bit but will be worth it

yeh mate 100% happy.....just need to get mariokart to work now lol

have you got PAL version of game?

insert game and it will look like it's doing nothing, but move wiimote over to top left corner where game should be displayed, and click it, it will then ask you if you want to install an update, PLEASE CHECK YOU HAVE A PAL VERSION and do the update.

all should be ok then.

so it will be fine if i do this update and will not install me to 3.3 mate?
when i put the game in it comes up saying a system update needs to take place before i play, should i just run it? the game is PAL coz ive made sure in NFOs of everything ive downloaded

Last edited:
I use RegionFrii to verify region of ISO's

This will tell you if its been patched etc.

Back