what can i use ?

dave_c

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys , had to replace motherboard on my pc , took old one out after stripping it , and replaced all on new one , powered up fine , then after about 30 seconds shut down , after a while of trying to fig out what could be wrong , dawned on me i had not put therm paste on , so my quest is what can i use to get rid of the old therm paste before applying fresh , thanks in advance , will answer to any replies asap as will be at work

If your wife has nail varnish remover that will also do the trick.

Aslong as it does not contain Acetone.

Quoted from Overclockers.

Acetone, even pure, leaves a residue. And can also be detrimental to certain chips. It also melts most plastics. (Acetone is a large part of nail varnish remover).
However, TIM cleaner and Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA or Isopropanol) does not. Both can be used safely on a CPU, and can be found in most drug stores and supermarkets

used some noctua cleaning wipes , seemed to do job , put on paste , switched and no shutting down , now only prob i have is put in new hdd , switches on says windows loading files , goes to the screen for language , then restore to fact default , then erases all data on drive c , then when gets to copying temp files it says insufficent space on the disk for the temporary files required for the operation , did notice on one of the screens it said partition size 0.0gb

If you're doing a fresh installation check the size of the portions ?

Just delete them if you have a few and make 1 partition

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

its a motherboard for an acer x3400 which is what the pc is . the one i got is a refresh board cant remember what the one was in it before . just trying to use recovery disk to reinstall win 7 .

did notice on one of the screens it said partition size 0.0gb

I would use a proper windows 7 not the recovery one and start from scratch m8

Windows 7 ISO

You will need a flash drive and use Rufus to make a Bootle windows

Hope you have a old pc nocking about to do that

Is your Bios picking up your hard drive ?

Last edited:
did notice on one of the screens it said partition size 0.0gb

I would use a proper windows 7 not the recovery one and start from scratch m8

Windows 7 ISO

You will need a flash drive and use Rufus to make a Bootle windows

Hope you have a old pc nocking about to do that

Is your Bios picking up your hard drive ?
yes the bios and boot manager are seeing the drive . will see if can obtain a gen version as pc did not come shipped with one . no dont have spare pc

eventually got it sorted the old board was not recognising files on drive so scouted around got a board that was same as orig board put drive in and all worked fine , cheers for help guys . do have a nother prob but will start a diff thread

Back