what can I do ??

dave_c

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry not sure if this is in right section or not , over the last month have been getting mails from supposedly or it might be genuine from ebay saying I have reset my password , obviously I did nnot click on any links in the mail but I checked via ebay itself , and when I got there could not use my original password , so I changed it , then got another mail from there saying confirm its you , which again I did not click on any links , just went to the site and logged in fine , this went on for few weeks then stopped , then yesterday I got this

Please note that this is a system generated email; please do not reply to this email because it won't reach us. You can contact the Customer support using the help section from the navbar.

ltCurve.gif
eBay Change Email Notice
rtCurve.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx​
s.gif
Thank you for submitting your change of email address request. Instructions on completing the change have been sent to your new email address. Once the process is completed, your eBay-related email will no longer be routed to this email address.
If you did not make this change, check with family members and others who may have access to your account first. If you still feel that an unauthorised person has changed your email, get help here:
Change of email address request was made from:
IP Address: xxxxxxxx
ISP Host: xxxxxxxx
Thank you,
eBay​
s.gif
s.gif
I cannot contact customer support as it asks me to log into my account which at present I cannot do
s.gif
s.gif

I'd phone them
eBay UK contact number

When I run through the options on the site it eventually showed me the same number and generated a personal PIN no. which might be a problem seeing as you can't log in.
If you have a phone no. registered with them they'll probably send a msg to the phone to authenticate you.

Hopefully a lucky escape for you mate. If your Paypal account is/was linked to your eBay account I would change its password too - just in case. And, while you're at it, cancel automated payments to eBay purchases (this was advice to me from Paypal themselves!) so you're less at risk should the same thing ever happen again. Did you check to see if any purchases were made during the episode?
The easiest way to tell if an email from eBay (or Paypal) is genuine is to see whom it is addressed. If it says "Dear Client (or similar) then beware, it's most likely a phishing scam. If it is addressed to you personally then it's probably legit - in your case it was.

Back