Wetek Play 2

KhuramG

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Chaps,

Anyone owns a Wetek Play 2 box?

The spec looks impressive for the price considering 4k/streaming capability. However I understand E2 support for this box is very limited at the moment (only Alpha release by OpenATV so far).

Is it worth purchasing?

Cheers

Hello Chaps,

Anyone owns a Wetek Play 2 box?

The spec looks impressive for the price considering 4k/streaming capability. However I understand E2 support for this box is very limited at the moment (only Alpha release by OpenATV so far).

Is it worth purchasing?

Cheers

Id wait personally as i am mate.

Needs proper e2 support with the dual boot system as the original play had before id buy.

Hi,

I'm running a WP2 with the E2 OpenATV image and its pretty good and snappy. Still missing the option of running Kodi natively with it though like the WP1. You have to pop out the mSD card to boot in to the WeoS to get too Kodi which is a pain.

Taken a long time to get E2, so don't think anything is going to be rapid in the future. Its a right shame that the Wetek devs do not help the E2 developers, they keep blaming lack of Arm drivers, but to be honest, they are official supporters of Kodi, so I guess they are tied to them, hence no effort on the E2 side. Shame as they are missing a great opportunity in the sat market. I'm even considering buying a Meelo SE box and giving up with the WP2.

It will run AndroidTV and Libreelec, but I can't get too grips with TV Headend, plus, it takes some time to turn on each time when you come out of standby and watch TV. need it instant for the missus and the kids!

Still use a WP1 and its a great box.

Hi,

I'm running a WP2 with the E2 OpenATV image and its pretty good and snappy. Still missing the option of running Kodi natively with it though like the WP1. You have to pop out the mSD card to boot in to the WeoS to get too Kodi which is a pain.

Taken a long time to get E2, so don't think anything is going to be rapid in the future. Its a right shame that the Wetek devs do not help the E2 developers, they keep blaming lack of Arm drivers, but to be honest, they are official supporters of Kodi, so I guess they are tied to them, hence no effort on the E2 side. Shame as they are missing a great opportunity in the sat market. I'm even considering buying a Meelo SE box and giving up with the WP2.

It will run AndroidTV and Libreelec, but I can't get too grips with TV Headend, plus, it takes some time to turn on each time when you come out of standby and watch TV. need it instant for the missus and the kids!

Still use a WP1 and its a great box.

Thank you - really useful information.

Do the HD channels work OK with OpenATV image - the research I've done so far suggests there is an issue with sound? What about playing 4k content?

Cheers

with the new wetv from wetek play 2, for me there's no need for any of e2 images

the new wetv has everything for proper tv.
Scanning, importing channel list online or local (e2), timeshift, recording, picons and iptv

The only PITA is to edit the channel list.
But on this i use dreambox edit, and then import the list locally on wetek

so, for me, and this is my opinion, for the price they ask, is one of the best 4k dvb solutions on the market.
netflix on fullhd and when they release the android 6 it wilk be 4k

imho e2 is getting older.. the good thing is that is very mature.
But i believe the wetv is on the right track.

with the new wetv from wetek play 2, for me there's no need for any of e2 images

the new wetv has everything for proper tv.
Scanning, importing channel list online or local (e2), timeshift, recording, picons and iptv

The only PITA is to edit the channel list.
But on this i use dreambox edit, and then import the list locally on wetek

so, for me, and this is my opinion, for the price they ask, is one of the best 4k dvb solutions on the market.
netflix on fullhd and when they release the android 6 it wilk be 4k

imho e2 is getting older.. the good thing is that is very mature.
But i believe the wetv is on the right track.

Thanks - I've ordered one as my 2nd box to keep me entertained (it was too tempting for the money). Would be interesting to see how is compares with E2 and it's encouraging that things are also developing, albeit slowly, in the E2 space.

Are you running a completely standard setup on it?

Cheers

I got my Wetek Play 2 delivered yesterday.

Managed to get it going - downloaded the channel list and picons from Wetek server and installed and configured oscam. The channels are not organised to my liking so I plan to download and edit the channel list in dreamedit and then upload it back to the box.

Currently struggling with EPG - anyone aware of a solutions?

I also managed to install a version of LibreElec and boot into it via the sd-card, however this is completely new to me. How do I setup tvheadend to work? Any user guides about?

Cheers

Update

ApenAtv 6 Alpha Image – works well on Wetek 2 but too buggy and unreliable at the moment – many features do not currently work but I’m sure all will be sorted when the official image is released.

We TV – OK – I’m starting to like Android but lack of EPG is really annoying – anyone aware of any solutions out there?

Libreelec – I’ve been playing with Libreelec and managed to get almost everything going with TvHeadend (lots of reading) but – currently struggling with transferring bouquets and ordering channel numbers and mainly EPG. Can ayone help, please?

Hi,

I just use OpenATV all the time, don't really use HD channels and therefore have not noticed any problems. Been a while since it was released and would have thought there would be an update for it by now.

Sometimes I eject the SD card out and boot in to WeOS so as I can use Kodi, tried it with the family over the weekend and they just don't like it compared to E2. Waiting for the box to start from standby when you want to watch TV seems to take ages, but once up and running is OK, but with no epg like you say which is shit. Even caused a few swear words on Friday as one of my sons somehow got it in to Radio mode, and ended up having to search through the forums to find how to get back to TV.

I have tried TvHeadend, but seems like too much effort to get it perfect, and don't really fancy using Kodi interface for TV. Afraid I can't help you with that.

On another note the WP1 is brilliant, using PB Enigma image, and it has native Kodi 17 in the menu and never misses a beat. Can't believe how backwards the software available for the WP2 is compared to WP1.

Have you tried the Android TV rom, again you need to be able to use TvHeadend though?

Thanks, Vinnie1,

Really appreciate your feedback.

For now, I’ve also settled on OpenATV Alpha release which is OK but needs improving - HD channels do work but sometimes there is an issue with sound.

I’ve tried installing crossepg (no problem with installation) and it also downloads EPG file without any issues but the box crashes and reboots when it’s loading the list. Hopefully their next release with improvements will be released soon.

Last image is one month older.

Tested a few things, it's nice, but i'm converted to libreelec.

Using a AIO software is great for me

Yes, please - a backup copy of the image will be useful.

I tried OpenATV image which was released on 17/01/2017 - it works OK'ish but I could not get the EPG to work plus it would crash randomly.

I've also been teaching myself libreelec and TVHeadend lately - finally got most things working but still struggling with Channel Tags so it mimic my Enigma2 bouquets, numbers etc. Any pointers?

TVheadend is awesome once you get used to it, I bought a wetek play and put openATV on it, its E2 Meh but had Kodi as a plugin so bonus, I then bought a wetekplay 2 and was forced down the Libreelec/ TVheadend route ffs best thing I ever did, I used TVheadend 4.2 so had the setup wizard

I used TVHeadend/Kodi for nearly 2 years and was very happy with it, then we got cable so needed a box that could run both sat and cable. So we got a decent E2 box, the difference is like night and day, TVheadend feels like a hobbyist platform where as E2 feels like the full commercial product that it is.

I use TVheadend in Kodi on the Wetek, this also allows the wetek to become basically a network tuner, so in other rooms I have rasberry Pi's running Kodi with the TVH client on and can watch/record live TV.

You can do the same with any E2 receiver, in Kodi PVR addons just select the VU+ pvr, it works just the same as the TVHeadend client

Can I use Android and Enigma2 as dual boot ? Or, can use One at once ?

Yes you can - just install the E2 image on the sd-card.- obv only one will be operational at a time.

Please note, the E2 images that are available for this box are still very much beta and not stable - the last one was released in January.

Back