western digital 2.5" external usb harddrive power issues!

FATBOY

Member ++
Reaction score
bought a western digital usb external harddrive but i want to use it in my car via the usb port on my headunit... problem is the usb point on my headunit only produces 500 mamps and ive heard it probably needs 650 manps(especially on first spin up) . ive thought about getting a USB 2.0 Power Booster Cable (Double type-A to single mini-B connector) and putting the other type A usb cable into a car ciggarette adaptor and using the cars power to give it that extra power it needs(it lights up and trys reading the device but it then says no device,but works fine on my pc obviously) would using the cars ciggarette adaptor power be ok for the drive??? or will it blow it??? heres some specs

External Power Specifications (optional)
AC input voltage 5.0 VDC, 1.0A
Drive Maximum Power Draw (milliamps) 650 Ma

also the twin usb cable, western digital sell it but only ship to usa?? anyone know where i could get one over here????

or is there some kind of usb power booster that can draw more power??

Last edited:
Dont Know about the power options but as for teh cable , try emailing Western Digital support re the cable. I bought a WD 500gig Mybook external usb HDD and wanted a spare power pack, emailed them,got an email saying they didnt sell them etc but they posted one out next day delivery free of charge to me. no harm i trying for a cable

just looked at the cigarette lighter adaptor and it kicks out 5 VDC 400 mamps so combined with the usb headunit connection it will be 900 mamps! should be ok i guess????

Back