Inactive User
Reaction score
got a toyota corrolla d4d 53reg

service it every 6k
looked after it
timing belt changed on time

guess what happens today!

the fooking timing belt snapped as i was doing 60mph! down a aroad

car grinded to a halt and then theres me pushing it about 100yrds to a safe loacation and i got pricks who are speading not bothering to slow down and over taking on other side of road

could of at least stopped for 10 secs gave me a quick hand and went on their way without endangering me or the drivers on the other side of road

now what u guys think i need a new timing belt kit, water pump .etc or is it bent the valves as i was talking to a guy and he was saying some toyotas have a safety mechanism so if the belt snaps it dont damage engine??

i have a spare engine but its been sitting around for 1yr and the injection pump is different so will have to change that too to match my car

but im pleased with aa came out in 15mins and got me car to m8s garage and then dropped me off home

ohhh and guess how many miles its got on the clock??? ;)

well did you do the belt yourself or have a pro do it?
usually the pros put on a years warrenty on the belt, even the parts are 1 years warrenty unless you didnt change the followers, tensioners etc when you done the belt.
i reacently changed my car and the belt had been done, but only the belt, the previous owner only changed the belt, i found this out by ringing up the company that done the belt a couple of months previously so i had the job done again correctly.
if its still under warrenty i would contact the company involved be it the fitters or the belt manufactors.
i really miss the good old engines that were not interferance engines, i remember my old sierra snapping a belt, 30 mins later and down only £6 new belt on and the car was back on the road.

well the belt was done by a local mechanic but had it checked out and the belt didnt fail first

it was the water pump bearing that failed casuing the belt to snap

ohh well dont trust the engine i have spare so gona get 1 from breakers tomorrow after i have checked it over and heard it running

Auto data says its an interference engine, so damage will probbley have occoured

Sorry mate:(

Last edited:
really feel for you mate, most times when I have changed a belt I do the water pump as well obviously because its false economy not to.
and why do manufacturers not make all engines safe? next car I buy that will be a pre-requisite.

really feel for you mate, most times when I have changed a belt I do the water pump as well obviously because its false economy not to.
and why do manufacturers not make all engines safe? next car I buy that will be a pre-requisite.
i entirely agree with the water pump, i would never do the job on a car that has the waterpump ran by the timing belt without replacing that as well.
the reason why most if not nearly all engines are now interferance is becasue it allows more compression in the cylinders, thus using less fuel to cause the combustion, as long as the timing is correct and belts are replaced they are pretty good.
another better option would be a timing chain, i think the new ford zetecs now use the chain, this is a much better idea, all you need with those is to make sure your oil is changed regually, when the chain goes the engines are usually knackard at that point anyways.

op, why dont you just remove the head and see what damaged has been caused, you may find you have only bent a couple of valves that are easily replaced, worst case you may have put a hole in the piston even thats not a real big deal for the hands on mechanic, but either way it would most likely work out cheaper getting the head rebuilt than having another block put in (labour etc>, also you have the added fun of changing over your ecu etc otherwise the can network wont recognise the engine and can cause all sorts of fun. modern cars are a pain in the rear with the ecus, my car decided that it wanted twinkle at me with the mileometer, i had to take it to the dealers to get a poxy re alignment what ever that is.. but it fixed it and i hadnt changed anything on my car..
good luck

lol labour to put the engine in is £150 cant go wrong and thats a discount 4 me as i do the diagnostic work 4 him

so some times when he has 3 or more cars i charge him slightly less

£20 for diagnostic code reading .etc
so if he got 3 or more on same day i charge him £15 a piece

ecu wont need changing as its same bhp and engine code

the valves were bent and 1 piston had a hole and another had a crack

plus the lump i got cheap

so i will be getting a full timing belt kit and water pump fitted to new engine before he drops it in

my orignal engine had over 392k on it!
so i know the engines are pretty much mint

the new enigine has done 47k according to the clocks
will let u guys know how it gets on

cheers

thats a great price mate.
I would if it were my car fit an original manufacturers water pump, might be a few quid more but will definately last longer than a pattern part bud.
good luck

lol labour to put the engine in is £150 cant go wrong and thats a discount 4 me as i do the diagnostic work 4 him

so i will be getting a full timing belt kit and water pump fitted to new engine before he drops it in

cheers

No wonder the belt snapped man on that millage, the bent would have needed to be changed at least 5 times i think.

lol thats the total mileage

its been serviced and looked after alot

and then a small cockup on the last belt change

cheers
you must do a lot of driving pal to do 392k within 7 years as your car is a 53 reg
thats 56,000 miles a year lol i thought i was bad with 20k a year..thats a good price mate that you got to fit the engine i had a renault espace and i paid £600 for a recon engine and £650 for a garage to fit it and change the triming belt+service..then my bloody geat box went on it so i gave up and on it lol hope your car runs well after you get it fixed mate

Back