Well Guys You were all right!! - LEAKING!!!

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
F***king Hell - All of you that said it were right.
Im so gutted, this morning went to shed/room to just have a look as I hadn't been for a whole day/night (was working).
Friday early morning there was rain.
Last 2 days I have been ill since Thursday started sneezing and felt like hayfever but it developed into a full blown cold by friday, so yesterday night didnt go into work - called in sick.

So today I go check the room and there a puddle on the floor boards, theres blue fungai kind of stuff on the wall and some cracks on the pain.
It seems the water is comming from the back wall.
So what the bulder guranteed about no leaks was all shit as it did leak in the end and now im f***in pissed.
One of the workers is here assessing the damage but im waiting for the big boss to come as theres gonna be allot to explain now.
Im gonna try remaining calm so what ever they got to do, they do it.

Any thing I need to tell them to make sure they do, Im sure its the back wall they didnt knock down that the water is seaping through.

Last edited:
Floor, where most likely damp came through (mopped up the water) -

Was the back wall plastered boarded then skimmed?any stains or indication of water coming from further up the wall.
Could be leaking between wall and boarded finish from the roof.

No indication of it comming right from the top as the blue spots are from the middle and the bottom. All the other walls are fine but in fairness the other walls are all new and had the damp course. It seems with the back wall they were just plaster boarded and had concrete sealent on them.

If the back wall aint been damp proofed/rendered with proper plaster?not dot and dab board,if you know what i mean.
Then it possibly coming thru the wall.

Yeah they think it is the back wall however I dont think the flooring has a damp proof full course (with the membrane etc).
Basically he left the olf flooring as it was and the new he just cemented it and joint it with the old floor.
So the new floor has the membrane according to him but the old floor, which is joint with the back wall has no damp proof course.
The back wall is defo an issue and quite possibly the floor, although the damp seems to be comming all from the back wall.

What would be needed to sort this issue out then apart from injecting the back wall?
Should the flooring be redone as well?

Yeah they think it is the back wall however I dont think the flooring has a damp proof full course (with the membrane etc).
Basically he left the olf flooring as it was and the new he just cemented it and joint it with the old floor.
So the new floor has the membrane according to him but the old floor, which is joint with the back wall has no damp proof course.
The back wall is defo an issue and quite possibly the floor, although the damp seems to be comming all from the back wall.

Ok Ive gotta say i saw and replied to your orig thread re-the back wall, the fact that it weren't damp coursed properly is deffo where this episode has come from. It is going to be a case of get the back wall done.....dry the place out (dehumidify) and wait until the next decent downpour. You "could" be right about the floor, seems a very strange way of doing things re new floor on top of old, But having said that its going to be your best bet to give the damp coursing of the "old" back wall a chance.Reason in my book is simple.....the last thing you want to be doing is ripping up that whole floor. That would be a nightmare.....if the damp course on the old floor is sound then you could "get away" with it.
Look at it this way, your going to know pretty dam soon with our weather. If you discover a problem after the wall has been rectified, then you would need to face up to the fact that the floor is going to have to be done. The builder will not offer to do floor and wall in one go, should never have done the floor in that way anyway(IMO). But since you must have just let him get on with it or whatever, then you have to kind of let him fix it, but in stages.....Ie if back wall fixes the issue, then no real harm done ect. Got to keep the guy onside now (as much as it will annoy the fook out of you), Builders are famous for thinking "fook this", so try to avoid that situation mate. Sympathise with him ect, this approach will get your building finished more than "I demand", you and I and he himself all know you have rights ect, But the best way to get what you want is the "oh mate" approach.
Good luck with it mate.

Yeah im trying the act calm approach. Hopefully they will do somthing tommorow or monday latest.
Main guy is in Manchester until Tuesday but hes sorting it out from there.

m8 im gutted for you, there was a lot of time effort and money put into your shed all your hard work.

hope you get it sorted m8.

Before you do anything drastic.
That back wall was there when the old shed was there,did it get wet then?
If not, why is there water there now?
I know that the whole roof covering is crap but I told you in my PM to you that the dodgiest part of the roof covering was the seal on the back wall. Check there first.
Don't assume that where you see damp patches or puddles that it is where the leak started.

Well I checked inside the and above the shed and they couldnt find any points where it was leaking.
Also it was only on one side of the shed (the right side) and not on the other sides where puddles formed, however blue dots did appear on the left side of back wall.
Well I guess its trial and error now, that back wall will need to be injected etc as you guys have said and then if the issue persists check the roof again and floor.

Well I checked inside the and above the shed and they couldnt find any points where it was leaking.
Also it was only on one side of the shed (the right side) and not on the other sides where puddles formed, however blue dots did appear on the left side of back wall.
Well I guess its trial and error now, that back wall will need to be injected etc as you guys have said and then if the issue persists check the roof again and floor.

trial and error ?????????????? who's paying for new flooring and plasterboards/skimming when the trial ends m8 ???

all this should have been done properly in the 1st place

"that" backwall wont have a damproof course { the bottom 1 or 2 course's of brick should have been drilled then injected, " then the whole rear of the rear wall rendered and waterproofed down to the 2nd course of brick"}

the rear wall above the roof should have been rendered also, {or atleast pointed then waterproofed}-----not forgetting the top of the wall aswell.

What I meant by trial and error was before trying to repair all 3 was first do the back wall then see if it still has the same issues and if not then it will be ok but if carries on then well need to do the flooring and if that fails then lastly roof, which was double checked today and will be again tommorow or Monday.

I'm 90% sure that the roof is leaking where the roof covering is 'attached' to the wall.
The water will get in there, miss the ceiling and run down behind the plasterboard, then mass at the bottom and possibly go under the laminate flooring.
I'd be surprised if there was enough rain to soak through the wall in that short time.

It was heavy rain for few hours on Thursday Night, couldn't that of caused it?

i would agree with pipsq---er m8, the roof seam at the wall looks the obvious place for this leak------ "if i was doing it", { i would make sure i had a good roof to wall seam, then nail some plastic bellcast over the top of it an 1" above the roof and along its length , --2 plastic corner pieces on top of the wall along your wall length,--a piece of plastic bellcasting along the rear of your back wall, - {nailed 1 and a half to 2 brick courses from the floor}and 2 plastic end pieces running from the bellcast to the top of the wall on the rear ----inject the bottom 2 brick courses with silicone below the bellcast, {then render and paint, the rear wall/top of the wall/and above the roof/wall seam}

if the above isn't done, "its a nap you will get riseing and penetrateing damp m8 {thats besides the roof leak youve already got}

your wooden floor will have to come up to dry out {or atleast inspect below it, see if theres any water}

rain does't cause leaks m8, {it was already there to start with}

you were told and told about these cowboys,{a decent builder would'nt leave that backwall exposed to rain without rendering it and doing a dampcouse}

a decent builder/roofer would'nt have done a cockup of a roof

a decent builder would,nt have patched a new floor with a membrane to an old floor without 1

its only early days yet m8, {if these jobs are'nt done your nice looking shed will slowly rot away from the floor up}

Back