weird

troopy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am using an ambit 200 with a 120 mac, I am not getting hit with the firmware update as before but if I put in a new mac, it will last for around 1 hour, then kick me, after i reboot the modem in on for 30 seconds then off again, as if I was using a mac in the same segment, If I change the mac again I will get another hour then the same thing happens, my mate is sending the macs wich have been sound for him for months and he is about 8 miles away, I don't mind having to change the mac every hour, at least i'm still online and saturday will soon be here, but wondered if anyone knew what the score is with this 1 hour job then mac responds like one on the same gateway as I'm on???

cheers

I came on here when you could still use a ambit 120.
I noticed that you could change the usb mac on those while you were changing the hfc mac(is that what its called?). which was one letter or number away from the other on the last digit.
I always wondered if this could be detected by the cc.
Peeps in the know used to say don't worry about this,but I always wondered about it?

you still can use 120's pre-update as far as I know, I never messed with the usb mac address but remeber changing the HFP IP subnet in some proggie when trying to scan for macs in a different segment to no avail as I recall

tonight i had run out of macs as my mate has gone to bed, I was a bit distraught so tried swapping the last 8 bits from 1 mac with another which had the same first 14 bits from the same area (i tried 0-9 in the 16th bit), I reset the modem in hyperterm and it came up as unreg.cfg so i tried again but using the first 28bits from the mac i stole the last 4 from and vice versa and re-flashed it and got cmreg-ntl~ so i tried it and it's been trouble free for the last few hours.

I tried it more times on a spare modem trying to generate valid macs and got about 2 out of 25 attemps randomly changing the last 8 bits so a new possibility for generating your own macs me thinks.

Back