Websense??

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get around this, we have it at work and it prevent you from accessing certain websites.

I found if I translate the webpage through Bablefish it will open it for me but I can only see that page and it blocks anything after that.

Surly there is an easy way around this, can't even check my personal emails.

I used to use HTTP tunnel on a USB stick when getting through security at my last job.

Try that.

Trouble is I can't install anything either unless I get the IT Helpdesk to log on remotely. :(

I managed to install it on a home pc, then copy the installd folder over to a pen drive and run from that.

The lack of reg/windows entires didn't stop it from working.

Surly there is an easy way around this, can't even check my personal emails...

websense is a pretty strong product so getting round it would be tricky - especially since it doesnt sound like you've got local admin rights to your system.

you could try using a web proxy (but any decent websense admin should have already category blocked 'web proxies'), or try http tunnel like mozr said, or use something like Windows remote desktop or VNC Viewer to remotely connect to your home pc and then use your home pc for internet.

But even then if you do get it working, depending on your office you gotta be a bit crafty coz people will walk past your screen and see you're on a site that should be blocked and go asking I.T "how come HE can access that website and WE cant?"

if you just want to access your personal email accounts then just set up an additional email accounts in Outlook with IMAP or POP connections to your personal email accounts and voila, you're in.

ah websense, i remember this from my college days, what a pain in the arse that was to get around.

i ended up just shutting down the servers that were running websense via the remote shutdown wizard ;).

You should be able to get into the command prompt using a batch script. Discussing of these I am not sure is allowed here.

From there, type "shutdown -i" and ur into the remote shutdown dialog

PS Option 2:

Try googling a proxy called webblaster, last time I checked they hadnt blocked it under the "Proxy Avoidance" category

Last edited:
You could maybe set your own page-forwarding secure proxy up, HTTPS transactions should get through.

I have a similar issue but not quite the same. I thought tunnelling through port 80 with SSH and Putty client might have been the order of the day but accessing a personal server which forwards pages like that is maybe better.

I'll see what we can come up with as apart from the web-filter I don't trust people not to be snooping somewhere.

shutdown -i, did you do this on a Windows machine at all? If so, all this command does is bring up the window for the shutdown dialog box....

Under linux, shutdown doesnt have an -i switch.

However, back to the topic.

Earwig, are you trying to simply visit webpages or start downloads? If you just want to view sites a good way around this could be to RDP back to a machine at home (if this is allowed through your companies firewall).

Websense, as mentione above, is a very robust product and as such is quite hard to defeat. The best advice on here so far is to use a proxy to access your sites, but this could end up being quite slow for you, depending on the proxy you get. I think Spectre has hit it on the head for you.

Back