Web Hosting

CrazyFool

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
needed some advice on setting up my own website for a business i may start in the near future.

With regards to the actual site design, that's pretty much sorted, a friend has permitted me to copy his website. but where do i go from here?
Is it just a case of opening up his website under MS frontpage, editing it and publishing?

also, how does domain leasing and hosting work?
is this one ok as an all in one solution?:
Website Hosting - High Quality, Voted NO1 Website Hosting

it costs about 30 quid for 2 years all in all.

all I'm after is a website and an email address. Dont need allot of bandwidth, just need to have my presence felt within a 10 mile radius is all...

I hear the free ones are not that clever with regards to reliability. is that true?
also, can i host the website from my home for free after purchasing the domain for 7 quid? I have an NAS device, a couple of dd-wrt routers and a dm500 that i use as a CS server (although i would prefer not to strain it any more)
also have access to half a dozen other boxes if needed as a server backup etc.

Thanks in advance,
CrazyFool

It isn't that simple as just copying and publishing.

You will need to setup your front end (joomla, wordpress etc), plus you will also need a MySQL database and export his data (if needed) and import into yours (that is also dependent on size as MySQL can only import so much so you have to split the data using BigDump). The structure itself is just a set of folders which you can FTP up to the hosting server.

Try Web Hosting | Secure Hosting Plans with Unlimited Bandwidth, they have a nice intuitive interface that lets your add the components you need in.

Last edited:
uhm...
i didn't understand any of that :S
lol

is there anyway i can upload his website in a format that doesn't require me to do any of the above?

A lot depends on what his existing site is written in - if it's database driven then no you can't.

Hosting from home is possible but not often worth it, especially for business. You can get a free .co.uk domain etc from Google - Welcome to Getting British Business Online

I just used 000webhost. They have a free account that has everything needed for a simpler website and there is no ads either

So I'm coming to the end of my free one year Yola website posted by hoponbaby above.

they want another 18 quid for the next year. Is this give or take the going rate? and if I decide to switch can I take my website design with me as I used their template to build my current website.

Cheers lads.

not sure what yola did or do , did they provide templates etc for site. as for 18 depends on site content etc, can probably so same or better for $1 month hosted several sites not with big boys but do say or better deals.
So I'm coming to the end of my free one year Yola website posted by hoponbaby above.

they want another 18 quid for the next year. Is this give or take the going rate? and if I decide to switch can I take my website design with me as I used their template to build my current website.

Cheers lads.

@crazyfool, u have had some good pointers already and i myself have looked into 000webhostings offer but im never sure of free deals, they are usually too good to be true. Im currently using Awardspace and have done for the last 5 years with no problems. they have all the utilities you need built into your control panel if you require them. I dont use any databases or dynamic stuff as my site is for info only but for reliability i cant fault them.
If you do attempt the home hosting option. Have you ever thot of running a sever off an old dbox or even a xbox 1 to save a few coins with power?

thanks for that lads.
my website is info only too and so awardspace looks good. how does the bandwidth gizmo work? will 5gb per month be enough?

and how do I take my domain across? yes yola gave me a template to work with but I might be able to export the website to HTML or something.

Last edited:
hey, you might want to look at something like this

here

for your hosting nice and cheap but works well take a look, i use this one does what i need and no need to worry about the cost each month its 5 years worth

worth a look you don't have to buy it :) but for what it cost if your not happy you can move to another host

FocuS

thanks for that lads.
my website is info only too and so awardspace looks good. how does the bandwidth gizmo work? will 5gb per month be enough?

and how do I take my domain across? yes yola gave me a template to work with but I might be able to export the website to HTML or something.

If it's the site in your siggy, you'll get most of it off but there are a couple of things in the source will probably need a bit of hacking so it may be quicker and easier to do a new site after nicking some html from the old...

If you bought the domain seperate to the hosting you'll just need to point it at the new host. If it was part of the hosting package, you'll have to buy it from the hosts, and then have it transfered.

As for the template, your current hosts will own the copyright on the code and anything else they supplied (e.g. stock images). You'll hold the copyright on anything you supplied (e.g. text).

thanks for that fellas. yola who I have used for the last year provided me with the domain too. how do I go about switching? I think I'm gonna go with award space cos its free.

Last edited:
thanks for that fellas. yola who I have used for the last year provided me with the domain too. how do I go about switching? I think I'm gonna go with award space cos its free.

Thought it probably was that one. Home page is mostly html with some embedded CSS which is likely public so you can just extract it. There are two calls at the end to Quantcast and Yola Analytics neither of which look very exciting and the site will look no different if they're gone.

Contact page is easily replicated but you'll need a script to 'action' it - I can upload one if you need. The last page will be easily ripped.

You may have to download some images but they seem to be eminently, erm, nickable ;)

Cheers for that mate,
Would appreciate if you could upload that script thingymajig cos I literally don't know where to start and thus any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

CrazyFool

Transfer from yola: https://www.yola.com/tutorials/arti...domain-registrar/Publishing_domains_and_email

The two domain hosts I use offer "free" transfers, Easily.co.uk and 123-reg.co.uk. Domains are more expensive at Easily than 123-reg, but they include the ability to forward upto 20 custom email addresses. (I forward mine to my gmail account.)

Crazyfool i actually forgot Awardspace done a free host, i started out free but i eventually started to pay for a membership as i needed the incoming emails, just keep that in mind. If you want incoming emails to your domain then that isn't part of the free package. There may be a workaround tho ;)

Just to add, still have 2 sites with 000webhost. No problems an no limitations either. there is another deal on that comes to mind so ill just look through my emails and dig it out too

Back