Web Design for Beginners

Utopie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Every now and then I notice a few basic to intermediate web design questions in here. There are lots of reference and resources out there it is hard to know where to start.

I think the best place to start is the W3C schools website, it's the official reference for web coding standards (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, etc...) - so if you are stuck, check it out, add this to your bookmarks and always make it your first port of reference.

http://www.w3schools.com/

Last edited:
and if i can add there is a w3c editor which I found some time ago but have not have not managed to have a look myself at it yet but being by w3c your coding will be good :)

Amaya Home Page

Amaya (formerly Amaya World)[4] is a free and open source WYSIWYG web authoring tool[5] with browsing abilities, created by a structured editor project at the INRIA, a French national research institution, and later adopted by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Amaya is used as a testbed for web standards[6] and replaced the Arena web browser.[7][8][9] It is very lightweight, meaning it does not use much computer resources.[10]

W3C's Editor/Browser
Amaya is a Web editor, i.e. a tool used to create and update documents directly on the Web. Browsing features are seamlessly integrated with the editing and remote access features in a uniform environment. This follows the original vision of the Web as a space for collaboration and not just a one-way publishing medium.

Work on Amaya started at W3C in 1996 to showcase Web technologies in a fully-featured Web client. The main motivation for developing Amaya was to provide a framework that can integrate as many W3C technologies as possible. It is used to demonstrate these technologies in action while taking advantage of their combination in a single, consistent environment.

Amaya started as an HTML + CSS style sheets editor. Since that time it was extended to support XML and an increasing number of XML applications such as the XHTML family, MathML, and SVG. It allows all those vocabularies to be edited simultaneously in compound documents.

Amaya includes a collaborative annotation application based on Resource Description Framework (RDF), XLink, and XPointer. Visit the Annotea project home page.

A while ago a memeber here suggested a section for web design - did anything come out of this idea or is it a no go - would be good to have somewhere and I am sure many would benefit from it including myself :)

Looks interesting mate, I'll check it out... Hopefully will be good if it is associated with the W3C

Let us know your finding when you do mate as I dont know when I will have the chance to try it

A while ago a memeber here suggested a section for web design - did anything come out of this idea or is it a no go - would be good to have somewhere and I am sure many would benefit from it including myself :)

Looks like it is a GO.

I would be interested in this, no matter what software I have tried, I always seem to mess it up and get nowhere so keep giving up.

I will keep an eye on the new section to see some tips.

Back