Waze - free satnav

SuperPP

Inactive User
Reaction score
discovered waze a few weeks ago, available on all platforms and monitors users to determine traffic levels.
any jams detected will re-route you to avoid.
has some facebook type social network stuff too.
seems cool to me and reliably good.

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

I've been using google navigation for the last couple of months and really impressed with it. Traffic information (it uses crowd sourcing along with other sources) is about as good as I have seen elsewhere and POI is very good. And of course it can overlay streetview or satellite view if you want. The only downside is you do need a data connection but its not using tons of data volume and it does cache maps so if you set up navigation on your home wi-fi before you set out then map download is very minimal.

Official Google Blog: The bright side of sitting in traffic: Crowdsourcing road congestion data

Last edited:
I've been using google navigation for the last couple of months and really impressed with it. Traffic information (it uses crowd sourcing along with other sources) is about as good as I have seen elsewhere and POI is very good. And of course it can overlay streetview or satellite view if you want. The only downside is you do need a data connection but its not using tons of data volume and it does cache maps so if you set up navigation on your home wi-fi before you set out then map download is very minimal.

Official Google Blog: The bright side of sitting in traffic: Crowdsourcing road congestion data

what about safety cams, are you using another app with google nav?

Waze is no good if you are navigating from an area with no mobile reception. It needs a data connection to download the map and enable the route calc.

(TT)

discovered waze a few weeks ago, available on all platforms and monitors users to determine traffic levels.
any jams detected will re-route you to avoid.
has some facebook type social network stuff too.
seems cool to me and reliably good.

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

If you are looking for a free navigation app for android, try Navfree
I have tried both waze and Navfree and prefer the later by miles

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL

Seeing as somebody has posted here, Waze has been bought by google so expect to see its features integrated with google maps soon.

We went to visit family in the USA for christmas and just before we went I bought Co-Pilot USA for £6.99 from the Google Play store. It's the full premium version with 1 years traffic and free lifetime map updates. Now you may ask why I'm mentioning the USA version, well once you have bought the USA version you can also download the UK & Ireland maps free with the lifetime updates.

We did over 3500 miles over crimbo through 9 states, and it never sent us wrong, even though we stuck to mainly smaller roads for sight seeing purposes, some were even dirt tracks though national parks.

I haven't yet had an occasion to use the UK maps but I think they will be just as good.

It also comes with cloud backup, so if you make any favorites you can back them up in the cloud and keep them on all devices that you install the program on to.

So far I've installed it onto 2 tablets and my phone as they are all using the same google account and they all work.

I tried waze and thought it was crap and navfree was worth every penny.

I've used IGO for many years but though I'd opt for a paid for solution as it came with free map updates and all for £6.99.

waze was really more about crowd sourced traffic situations, its very effective in countries in asia where you need to avoid and dodge traffic jams all the time - nearly every cabbie in malaysia has a waze up just to avoid traffic.

I've used all the different free options, but I still ended up back with TomTom, albeit on my iphone.

I've used all the different free options, but I still ended up back with TomTom, albeit on my iphone.
Funny, I always end up back with google maps.

Waze is a pretty incredible navigation app. It's the most active in actually rerouting you out of traffic. Its criticised for taking you on wild detours to save one minute. The beauty is you actually save that minute. I commute from west to south london each day, this app has been gold. Ive discovered shortcuts that could instantly shave 5 mins of my journey.

The problem is the interface is really quite ugly. Google maps has that nice simple interface which shows you what you need on the map. It tragically lacks speed cameras, though. The waze interface is cluttered and its sometimes difficult to see the the bend coming up. Also, the default colors are a bit meh.

Google own waze, If only they married and made a mother of all navigation apps overnight!

Funny, I always end up back with google maps.

Waze is a pretty incredible navigation app. It's the most active in actually rerouting you out of traffic. Its criticised for taking you on wild detours to save one minute. The beauty is you actually save that minute. I commute from west to south london each day, this app has been gold. Ive discovered shortcuts that could instantly shave 5 mins of my journey.

The problem is the interface is really quite ugly. Google maps has that nice simple interface which shows you what you need on the map. It tragically lacks speed cameras, though. The waze interface is cluttered and its sometimes difficult to see the the bend coming up. Also, the default colors are a bit meh.

Google own waze, If only they married and made a mother of all navigation apps overnight!
Agreed, I've tried to like Waze but the map style seems almost childish and unpolished.

I know Google use the data from Waze to give timescales on Google maps when you use the "arrive by" options and to show traffic etc. I have always wished they would integrate it all into Google maps but I fear it would ruin the simplicity of it, perhaps one day!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back