Water-fuel car unveiled in Japan

Paul-K

Inactive User
Reaction score
Jun. 13 - Japanese company Genepax presents its eco-friendly car that runs on nothing but water.

The car has an energy generator that extracts hydrogen from water that is poured into the car's tank. The generator then releases electrons that produce electric power to run the car. Genepax, the company that invented the technology, aims to collaborate with Japanese manufacturers to mass produce it.

SOUNDBITE: Kiyoshi Hirasawa, CEO, Genepax.

Michelle Carlile-Alkhouri reports.
Featured Video:

http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=84561

Sounds a bit iffy to me. I think it'll be another fake. Great if true but i doubt it.

thebigman

Haven't Iceland been running hydrogen power for years or is this a different technology?

you know once it becomes widely available and then the government will want their slice and start proper gandering that there is not enough water lol and then its starts upping the prices

i thinks me is going to learn all the routes of the canals

i'm a plumber so no worries for me to get water Hee Hee

again, the government will never tax water greater than it is already being taxed.
how will they know where u get ur water
it say "runs on any kind of water river sea tap bottled"
or fook them up all together and piss in ur tank

for years ive said itd be possible to run a car on water, waters made of the 2 most flammable elements known to man, hydrogen and oxygen, in just the right amounts as well, but my idea was to use electrolosys to seperate them, into the 2 gasses, re-mix them and ignite, just like in a cumbustion engine, and the by-product would be pure water, id even buy shares in windscreen wiper companies as theyd be used more due to the extra spray off the roads because of it lol

This is true lads. I was flicking through channels on my sat system 2 weeks ago and I came across a foreign channel that was showing the Japaneese test drive this car and they were explaining how its run using water but I didn't understand a word of what they were saying due to it being in another language.

Just like the electric car all those years ago...they will find a way of burying it. I know they have electric and hybrid cars now but donkeys years ago they had an electric car that really worked well and was alledgedly buried by the oil companies.

What speed does it go ??? It only said it will last 1 hour on a litre of water going 80 kmp. They said it runs on any water but why was the water that they put into it a blueish colour or was that just a colour reflecting of the car ??

I've got one thing to say about this. BOL**CKS. If they can do what they claim, they've broken the laws of thermodynamics and created a perpetual motion machine. It is simply impossible to get energy from water, without some external input.

They claim it uses 'a well known chemical process'. Fair enough, there's plenty of these around. But that means that the fuel isn't actually water, it's whatever is being used up in the reaction to get H2 and O2 from water. You simply CAN'T just split up water without some sort of overall energy input.

Now, I'm not saying that this car isn't more efficient, greener and better than standard petrol engines, but to claim it 'only runs on water' is an outright lie. It's just a scam to generate media attention and stock interest for the company.

Just my t'pence worth. (and I guess it was more than one thing ;) ).

it 'could' (this is my theory of how id invent it) have a starter motor that would start an electrolosis reaction going, this is then kept going like an alternator on a normal car keeps the battery charged once its running, the electrolisis would split the water, and fill 2 seperate tanks with the gasses

who cares how fast it doesnt go, its cheaper than petrol lol

but if they did go fast, crashes would be nearly always fatal as theyd be fast movinh bombs

but there are model car kits that do the same thing beady...
There may well be, but they aren't using the water as fuel. To split up the water into Hydrogen and Oxygen requires energy. No matter where that energy comes from (electrolysis, chemical reaction etc) doesn't matter.

Having got the H2 and O2, they are then converted back into water, releasing the energy. It is a physical impossibility to get more energy out (from the 'burning' of H2 + O2) than you put in (to split it up). This means that somewhere along the way, you've used up energy from an external source. It's a FUNDAMENTAL RULE OF THERMODYNAMICS. In the present case, I reckon they've got a block of reactant within the 'engine' that gets used up over time. As I said above, it's certainly possible that the overall process is very efficient, but the actual 'fuel' is the unknown reactant, not the water.

The water is more of an 'energy transporter/storer'. It's the same with batteries. The chemical reaction inside the battery eventually runs out, and no more energy can be got from it, unless you recharge it, requiring power from an external source.

Energy out <= Energy in.

The ONLY way this could work as claimed is if they've found a way to arrange hydrogen and oxygen so it is at a lower energy than water. AFAIK no such structure exists. Which is why the products of complete combustion are always water and carbon dioxide.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9urNUFzAM[/ame]

Back