Water Damaged Ceiling

Paul-K

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get rid of the yellow water marks on the ceiling, iv'e gave it several coats of emulsion (white thats the colour she wants it) but it still shows through, it's not a plasterboard ceiling but just plaster with the wooden slats i think, as the house is about 55 years old..

give it a coat or 2 of gloss first

You know i was saying that as i typed that post, but the wife would rather see someone else say the same thing cheer's m8.

yeah i would just apply oil based under coat thats as good as stain block

We decorated the MIL's living room for her a few years ago, and she smokes so heavily the staining was a nightmare.

My Dad has been a pro decorator for nearly 50 years, and after consulting him we undercoated all the walls. Next day, went back and it was through again, so I gave it it another coat on one wall, and it came through again, so rang the old fella, and he couldn't believe it, so came to check it out, (thought I was doing a shit job really I reckon!) he chucked up another undercoat on the wall I'd done twice already, and yep, by the time I'd cleared up for the day, it was back again...

In the end we had to spend a whack on This Stain Stop. It finally did the job, but I told the missus no more offering to decorate as a treat...!

It's due another paint job, but this time she's been warned the stain stop will be needed, and she'll have to pay my old fella to do the work, no more freebies from me the and missus...! :)

Absolute effing nightmare...!

i have heard somewhere that you shouldnt use gloss or oil based paint on walls and ceilings, in case of fire. you wouldnt stand a chance upstairs if a flame took hold of a ceiling with gloss on it..

have you tried a covering of PVA/Unibond,then emultion over that when dry

a good quality one not a pi$$ poor one from B&Q lol
we sell everbuild but there are other good ones :)

Don't use gloss m8, use oil based undercoat.
Any water based paints like emulsion will let the stain through unless you put an oil based paint on first to seal it.Curly

spot on m8, tis how it's done

Thanks for the replys guys, i think i go with Curlys advice tomorow :Cheers:

we had a roof leak 3 or 4 years ago, our house has lathe and plaster ceilings like yours 85 years old, tried painting like you and water stain came back the next day.

i friend of a friend is a decorator and he said use pva glue watered down a bit, slap on around the stain and then emulsion the following day. He said that is what he does and he has never been called back to a job.

used his advise and it works.

I thought Gloss was oil based? :err:

we had a roof leak 3 or 4 years ago, our house has lathe and plaster ceilings like yours 85 years old, tried painting like you and water stain came back the next day.

i friend of a friend is a decorator and he said use pva glue watered down a bit, slap on around the stain and then emulsion the following day. He said that is what he does and he has never been called back to a job.

used his advise and it works.

excellent,

were in the process of decorating and have the yellow stain at the top, 3 coats and still hasnt gone, will try the pva glue method to mo :)

thanks

Back