Watching television 'is serious threat to the health of children'

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Watching television 'is serious threat to the health of children'

Watching television poses a greater risk to children's health than was previously thought, a report claims.

Analysis of 35 scientific studies identified 15 negative effects that television can have on youngsters, ranging from short-sightedness and obesity to premature puberty and autism. The author of the report, Dr Aric Sigman, a psychologist, proposes banning the youngest children from watching television and only introducing it "judiciously" after that. The average six-year-old child in Britain will have spent a full year watching television and over half of three-year-olds have a TV in their bedroom, Dr Sigman said. He added: "To allow children to continue to watch this much screen media is an abdication of parental responsibility, truly hands-off parenting."

His report, published in the science journal Biologist, concludes that cutting children's viewing time must become a health priority and could save the NHS money.

The report also notes that permanent eyesight damage has been strongly linked to watching television, and says viewing may be a bigger factor in causing obesity than diet or exercise. It also increased the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Dr Sigman said it was "disconcerting" that some academics warned against over-reacting to these findings. By ignoring them we could "ultimately be responsible for the greatest health scandal of our time", he added."While society has shown alarm over school dinners, it has ignored the high-screen diet children have been consuming."

By Sam Marsden
Published: 19 February 2007
© 2007 Independent News and Media Limited

yea i saw the news to many pc and game consoles about i have to stop to 1 hour a day , tell to go out get some exercise

My cousin became short sighted from watching too much TV, but then his parents should have given him more to do instead of leaving him at home in the sticks and going to the pub. TV is as convenient for the parents as anyone else.

Incidentally, does anyone else find sitting in front of a big computer monitor seems to do something to their skin? I find my skin gets drier or something.

My cousin became short sighted from watching too much TV, but then his parents should have given him more to do instead of leaving him at home in the sticks and going to the pub. TV is as convenient for the parents as anyone else.

Incidentally, does anyone else find sitting in front of a big computer monitor seems to do something to their skin? I find my skin gets drier or something.

Depends on what im looking at on the screen LOL.

im assuming that this study was carried out by a different group of people then who proved that people who they called the 1st 'playstation generation' had much more finely tuned hand to eye co-ordination, multi-tasking cpapbilities, much clearer recalling of visual memory, lightning quick reflexes when compared to military trained personell, a 'natural' gift for map reading, grid referencing and being able to follow moving schematic diagrams even though they may have never seen them before in their lives, being able to instantly reverse left-right and up-down controls with no loss of control, and much more as their senses had been evolving along with the computer consoles as they were getting better and most of the top fighter pilots, nasa pilots, military spotters etc are all 1st generation playstation generation age

all of these skills were finely tunes by spending hours in front of a tv of course

@ digidude...

whaow...good post man...do you work for the military?

I think some parents do use TV as a babysitter rather than spending time doing other things with their kids...but as you say it will hone some skills.

im assuming that this study was carried out by a different group of people then who proved that people who they called the 1st 'playstation generation' had much more finely tuned hand to eye co-ordination, multi-tasking cpapbilities, much clearer recalling of visual memory, lightning quick reflexes when compared to military trained personell, a 'natural' gift for map reading, grid referencing and being able to follow moving schematic diagrams even though they may have never seen them before in their lives, being able to instantly reverse left-right and up-down controls with no loss of control, and much more as their senses had been evolving along with the computer consoles as they were getting better and most of the top fighter pilots, nasa pilots, military spotters etc are all 1st generation playstation generation age

all of these skills were finely tunes by spending hours in front of a tv of course

good post digidude . i agree i love playing the tombraider games , on the playstation, and u do have to use your head and some off the driveing games are great for eye and hand cordination .
:Boo:

its been proven that kids who play (probably too much) computer games are capable of doing 2 completley independant things with each hand while concentrating on a third visual task

Back