DVB - PC Cards Watch NTL on PC ..

looking on the ProgDVB wibsite ProgDVB home page it only seems to mention DVB-S and DVB-T cards???

anyone any idea if does actualy work with DVB-C??

anyone using it??

tnx
DiGG

The differences between the various DVB systems are pretty much all handled by the front end tuner and demodulator hardware. The actual dvb decoding (Mpeg audio/video streams) is very similar in all cases.

Generally, a program that is capable of talking to a board from one system is capable of talking to them all IF THE PROGRAM IS WRITTEN PROPERLY !

Some programs do seem to be a bit short sighted and don't bother to properly handle parameters that are not specifically satellite related but thankfully these are becoming relatively rare now.

ProgDVB, and most other programs based on the DVBcore components do seem to support dvb-c parameters without problem. These applications also appear to support standard Multidec plugins meaning Yankse/Fenrir work fine.

There is a BUT though, although the programs should support the DVB-C standard without problems always make sure that they support the specific board that you intend to use. Most manufacturers have there own very specific drivers which means that boards without SDK's or relatively new boards usually aren't supported !

Last edited:
nozzer, can't seem to get the scan right .. dunno how to configure the LNB settings and stuff ? .. any chance you could save your channel config and give us a copy .. i'll just load it up ? cheers mate

nozzer, can't seem to get the scan right .. dunno how to configure the LNB settings and stuff ? .. any chance you could save your channel config and give us a copy .. i'll just load it up ? cheers mate

The problem is the channel configs are different for each and every NetId area so I doubt mine would be of much use to you. Your best bet is to see if you can find a dbox/dreambox config for your NetId area and then use the information in that to scan your channels.

Afaik, there are no MSWin DVB applications around that can accept a NetId and automatically generate the appropriate config files although with the appropriate SDK it shouldn't be that hard to knock up such a program (although it would be specific to your hardware).

LNB etc shouldn't really be considered as they are redundant in dvb-c. The only things that matter are symbol rate (6.952Msym/sec for TW), Modulation (QAM64) and default frequency (starting point for you to scan).

You could possibly aquire the NIT data table using the above information and then extract the relevant frequencies for your NetId if you use a program capable of stream logging or maybe a stream logging plugin. Thats one of the reasons I have Multidec installed - you can get all kinds of nice plugins for logging :)

You should also be able to use the application that comes with your dvb-c card. I assume you have this working so you should have a list of all your valid frequencies somewhere within that application.

Last edited:
DVB-C Card arrived this morning.... cant try it now until monday. will post results....

or cries for help :Wave:

wheres the best place to get a card from in the UK ?

I've found the best place to get dvb cards etc is Germany. DVBShop does quite a good range at reasonable prices. They also often have ebay auctions.

DVBSHOP

You can also get cards remarkably cheap if you are prepared to bid on German ebay - make sure you can read German though and be prepared to pay exactly as described by the seller. Paypal etc seems to be rarely used in Germany !

Right lads.. ive got the card installed, scanned for chans using the supplied software (cant get progdvb to work) some chans are there, front row, filmflex and a few others, BUT, the picture quality is very poor..

any ideas??

In what way do you mean poor ?

If you are getting stuttering/mpeg squares then its either a signal level problem or maybe simply your PC isn't fast enough to copy with software Mpeg decoding.

If its some other problem like grainy picture or bad colour etc then chances are that your monitor is badly adjusted for video or you are using the wrong display mode (try getting the latest version of graphics drivers and DirectX - then set the various display modes - overlay etc.....). Another possibility is your graphics card. I've noticed some lower cost cards (especially Nvidia) seem to have limited colour rendition and always seem very dark !

LCD monitors also seem to be crap for displaying digital images. The refresh rate, even on so called fast LCD's, just doesn't seem upto action movies with blurring being very noticable. Even sub 12mS LCD's, which should cope fine with a 25fps movie seem to have this blurring problem - maybe its something to do with the way the image is built up onscreen and persistance-of-vision rather than refresh but I find it highly visible (I cant bear to watch an LCD TV for this very reason). I've also found LCD screens just dont seem to have the contrast necessary for vivid colours in movies.

Something else to watch is the native resolution of your display. Make sure that your display resolution is compatible with the resolution of the image you are trying to display. Stretching an image to your screen can make it appear very blocky and, depending on graphics card, can slow things down enormously.

When viewing, remember to take into account the screen size with your viewing distance. For a 17inch monitor displaying full screen video you really need to be at least 6 feet away rather than the normal 2 feet PC viewing distance. Too close and you will definately see blocks !

If your DVB card has a Video output then try connecting it to a standard TV. Check the quality on that and compare with a digibox. There shouldn't really be that much difference.

Last edited:
hmmm...

my display card is some kind of nvidia 128 thingy.. GForce FX 5200 i think.

the monitor is a LCD Samsung 570v.

so the next step it to rig a lead up from the Tv out on the card to the TV and see how it looks.

Alright guys,

soz 2 add to this topic, just wondered is it possible to configure windows MCE or another op sys as a true media centre PC with a DVB-C card and plugins?

If so could you advise on software etc, thanks, have got setup working with MYTheatre and Yanksee ok, now want to move to true media centre.

Thanks chaps

would if be possible for someone to post the transponder frequencies etc...

trying MyTheatre now as this seems to recognize my card..

tnx

I had to edit the transponders file in notepad, i got a valid services file from my dbox2 but they are available in the dbox2 section for your area.

Back