DVB - PC Cards Watch NTL on PC ..

khurrram said:
hey .. guys .. could any one suggest me a method of getting this technotrend setup to work with Windows MCE ? ..

Must admit Windows MCE is not something i've ever played with but if its based on the XP core OS then it should work with exactly the same driver set as used on XP

Have you tried the obvious step of downloading the Technotrend driver set and running the installer ?

You never know, it might just work !

khurrram said:
Everything is working fine on ritzDVB .. the only thing i miss a remote control .. and probably, a more stable UI ? .. any suggestions ..

The best user interface i've seen is definately WatchTVPro. When set up properly it does work very nicely. The video picture it generates in the overlay mode is hard to beat for quality - even when expanded to full screen mode. The timers and record facility are both simple and intuitive. There's also a resonably good channel editor that you can use to group your channels into something meaningful. I've got a hacked version of 2.21c Phoenix edition but i'm pretty sure you can find later hacked version around.
Only real problems with it is Teletext support is broken for UK suppliers and, if you are using a softcam, you may have to supply sid.cache file which basically links PMT's to SID's

I have had an IR module running with this software and it works quite nicely but its a pain to set up. Only reason I don't use it much though is because i've run out of serial ports (plus I don't actually use the dvb card for watching TV - its purely for direct stream logging of Emm's that you rarely see when logging from a stb)

Newbie question

Hi guys,

I'm considering building my own media center (HTPC) so that I can do stuff like, watch movies play mp3 look at pictures all from home network on HDTV. The other thing I'd like is the whole sky+ timeshift functions. I have digital NTL (Ireland) and didn't think it was possible to view this on the system until I discovered this forum. So am I understanding this correctly in that these DVB-C cards and take the NTL digital singal to display on TV and allow full use as if though the NTL digital box??

Another note, I saw ye talking about the Windows MCE, just in case ye didn't know about it but there is an open source media center program called media portal - http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ . The interface looks a lot like windows MCE except its free, installs in windows (and linux I think) and has a number of different plugins like MSN Messenger, weather and stuff like that.

Hiprobotamus

wow ! .. it's just amazing that this thread stayed alive for so long .. i'd love to keep it goin .. nozzer has been awesome ! ..

I'm going to look into this matter tomorrow morning .. read through nozzer's posts and see how could I make my NTL experience on my PC better ..

:)

Well if you want some help on the develpement and guide side i'd be glad to help and contribute

I have a TT 2300 Hibrid on its way soon (Just waiting for payday).

My current system allready has a dual boot

Windows running MediaPortal (sticking with open source) Im looking at ShowShifter as well..

and

Luinx running Mythtv

Second the card turns up im gonna start and im gonna start doing it so hopefully i should have a Guide done for it to my biggest concern is yankse & FENRIR working with mediaportal.. as it looks like you have to use the old version of mediaportal 1.3 ....

and if you starting a develepment group up for the cable tv/pc section i dont mind helping and being a part of it ;) i have the equipment and the setup.. i just lack the experience

;)

Last edited:
let me bring this thread to life again, i've been away but now I'm back. since the site went down, I didn't really look around for the name changed. tonight just out of the blue, I googled and ended up here ..

just can't believe it how much we progressed over this thread .. nozzer where are you .. I'd love to hear a word or two from you .. cheers mate ..

i think what is important is, what program supports it. I'm using ritzDVB which only supports certain cards, and i don't think this one is supported.

In previous posts, another software has been mentioned but then again for MDI Wrapper, Yankse, Fenrir to work together is important too .. I think I'll take some time out over a couple of weeks, and with the help of nozzer get a tutorial going .. :)

The Twinham card does work but i'm not too sure how much third party software support there is for it. You need to check that it will work properly with any software that you intend to use for viewing.

hey nozzer, how's it going mate .. nice to hear from ya ..

dunno if it's appropriate to ask but, any chance of downloading WatchTVPro from somewhere ? :)

@ khurrram or Nozzer: iv'e been doing a bit of reading. Am i correct in thinking that the 'software' you peeps menton replaces the need for a Cam & Card??

I was a bit cheeky and emailed these:
HISAT : Satellite equipment and information : Triple-Dragon, GbSat, Twinhan, Visionnet, MVision, Dreambox
I gave a few examples and asked them what third party software would work on this DVB-C card?

got areply this morning..

"I've heard of Yankse working I don't know the others - ProgDVB is another I'd heard worked well"

Soooo... do you this this card will be any good? is it ok for £80?

tnx for any advice :)

Iv'e been doing a bit of reading. Am i correct in thinking that the 'software' you peeps menton replaces the need for a Cam & Card??

The softwares like ProgDVB, WatchTVPro, Multidec etc are third party developed TV viewing applications. They tend to have many more features than the basic applications supplied with the board. One of the extra features is is usually the ability to function with plugins. These Plugins can handle all sorts of extra functionality from Teletext display to ECM and EMM decryption. The standard vendor supplied applications tend not to support such plugins usually prefering you to have to purchase a hardware CAM module.

For Nagra, Yankse is very good at ECM decryption and Fenrir for Emm decryption. Fenrir also has fairly seamless integration with Yankse so that keys are transferred without user intervention.

I was a bit cheeky and emailed these:
HISAT : Satellite equipment and information : Triple-Dragon, GbSat, Twinhan, Visionnet, MVision, Dreambox
I gave a few examples and asked them what third party software would work on this DVB-C card?

got areply this morning..

"I've heard of Yankse working I don't know the others - ProgDVB is another I'd heard worked well"

Soooo... do you this this card will be any good? is it ok for £80?

tnx for any advice :)

Well, if it works with ProgDVB then it should be OK. As I said above you need to decide what application you want to run and then make sure that the hardware you choose is compatible with that software. There are, unfortunatly, many proprierty brands of DVB cards available that have absolutely no third party support making them almost useless for general use !

hey nozzer, how's it going mate .. nice to hear from ya ..

dunno if it's appropriate to ask but, any chance of downloading WatchTVPro from somewhere ? :)

You should be able to find it without too much hassle on one of the European DVB sites

or you could download it from its home site - WatchTVPro

You can download and use the older 2.07 phoenix version for free (assuming a high end card) or you could download one of the newer versions and try to find a patch ;)

Last edited:
hey mate, what i'd recommend you is to download ritzDVB from www.ritzdvb.org, I've got it working at the moment and it works wonderfully.

i think the forum at that site has got a list of cards that are supported by the application.

my uni started today otherwise I'll take sometime out and write a tutorial. I'll start working on it might take me some while .. umm .. nozzer i'm thinking about completely switching to Mac Platform. Do you know about any usb based dvb-c tuners .. that would replicate what I'm doing on Windows.

umm .. looking for WatchTVPro patch at the moment .. no success .. uuummm ..

got WatchTVPro up and running .. only thing needed at the moment is how to scan the channels into it ? .. nozzer mate, you've got the channel list that would work with WatchTVPro 2.07 Phoenix Edition ? .. lets keep this going .. :)

For scanning, start with your default frequency, then try every frequency up and down from there in 8Mhz steps.

ie if your default is 523Mhz then try 531, 539, 547, 555 etc, then 515, 507, 499 etc.

other than that try to have a look at the appropriate dbox services files for your area. That should contain information regarding the transducer frequencies to scan.

hey mate, what i'd recommend you is to download ritzDVB from www.ritzdvb.org, I've got it working at the moment and it works wonderfully.

i think the forum at that site has got a list of cards that are supported by the application.

my uni started today otherwise I'll take sometime out and write a tutorial. I'll start working on it might take me some while .. umm .. nozzer i'm thinking about completely switching to Mac Platform. Do you know about any usb based dvb-c tuners .. that would replicate what I'm doing on Windows.

umm .. looking for WatchTVPro patch at the moment .. no success .. uuummm ..
that seems like a bad link?

@ D1GG3R

Let us know how you get on with that card please. Christmas is coming and i will be writing my letter to santa soon:proud:

Back