Build advice Want to upgrade my Phenom x6 1100 but unsure what to go for

byson1984

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello guys I currently have a GTX970 with my aging 1100t and 8GB ram and just wanting some upgrade ideas or is the 1100t still ok to run with a GTX 970. Thanks

If you want something specing out, just post your budget and what you need from that.

However, I'm waiting until AMD's Zen CPUs hit market (looking like Q4 this year) before deciding which way to upgrading my 6 year old i7 930.

If you want to wait, but also want to grab some upgrades you'll be able to roll into your next rig in the mean time, then an SSD (120/128GB suits most people) for boot and possibly another +250GB one for any Steam/Origin/Uplay games etc that benefit from faster level loading (e.g. Fallout 4, Dragon Age)

If you want something specing out, just post your budget and what you need from that.

However, I'm waiting until AMD's Zen CPUs hit market (looking like Q4 this year) before deciding which way to upgrading my 6 year old i7 930.

If you want to wait, but also want to grab some upgrades you'll be able to roll into your next rig in the mean time, then an SSD (120/128GB suits most people) for boot and possibly another +250GB one for any Steam/Origin/Uplay games etc that benefit from faster level loading (e.g. Fallout 4, Dragon Age)

Thanks for your reply :)

My 1100t is still half decent I think but my mobo is budget rubbish so doesn't overlock well. I do have a 120gb ssd for my os. I was tempted to go intel but very expensive. Is there a mobo out that I can use my current cpu and upgrade to AMD Zen when it comes out? Would I notice anything if I upgraded my ram and bought a better mobo to overclock the 1100t with? Thanks

The Zen line will launch with a new socket; AM4.

I've not seen any mention if the Zen CPUs will be backwards compatible with the current AM3+ socket motherboards; but, with the simultaneous switch to DDR4, I doubt it.

If you do upgrade to an AM3+ 9xx chipset, make sure you check the supported CPU list for the 1100T.

As for upgrading the RAM. It will depend on what you currently have, but probably not. That being said, RAM is dirt cheap at the moment. So whilst I wouldn't be upgrading DDR3 1600MHz to 1866Mhz, if you've only got DDR3 1066MHZ or 1333MHz, you may find you are able to overclock the 1100T to higher frequencies.

All that being said. I wouldn't throw more than £100 at the mobo and RAM upgrades for your existing system.

Back