Want to get some satellite system...

DOS

Inactive User
Reaction score
But havnt got a clue about it.

Im looking to spend as little as possible, probly most of the stuff id get is 2nd hand, until i know what im doing :)

What channels can i get without making a smart card or anything, and what can i get if i can make a card, or sometihng similar? Is there a list anywhere?

I currently have freeview, but i want more channels :)

What sort of box/dish would i need? Would a normal sky box do much for me?

I looked through the forum pages before i posted this, but i couldnt find what i wanted (i dont think...).

Also, how would i go about making a smart card if i need to, and what hardware would i need for that?

Thanks for your help

DOS

you could get a complete motorised set up for around £200 that dont need any cards m8, look about the forum for technomate recievers. you update the actual software on the box so it thinks its got a card in it (sort of) theyre so easy to update even an adult could do it (kids are 5hit hot at computer now so cant use that anymore lol)

is possable for me to make a atmega card for some channels and use it with a usb unlimited and skystar 2

@ Dos

Do you have a S*y dish already??

If not you will need one and either a set top box reciever or a pc satellite card to view/listen to content.

If you want a greater selection of channels a motorised unit is great or even a mono block. (my preference would be the motorised unit (£50+), cheaper in the long run).

In regards to receivers there are various options (you could try looking at What Satellite and Digital TV magazine) or better still ask members here...advice is 'Free' !!

S*y have an 'One-Off' package which retails for £150 including installation, with that you get hooked up to a particular satellite and can view ITV,C4......More4 and some of other 'Free To Air' (or is that Free to View) channels plus great reception on radio stations.

Given that cost, it's not that much more as pointed out earlier to have a DIY system which would give you more selection.

Most of known brands ie Technomate, Humax, Samsung, Fortec Star etc all can be updated using 'patches' available here (Technomate) or on the net.

You do not need a Smart Card for this at present as 'patches' are available.

chrome

Look at the 'Stickies' posted at the top of the forum, they are a good source of information to give you some knowledge about what is available, how to set a system up, costs etc

Good luck!!

BTW Since I've been a member here (Aug 05), I've known 2 members who drifted into this forum and ended up with recievers, Paul K and myself.

I only had a Freeview set top box a few months ago and ended up with a sat system, all bought relatively cheapily (check out the Bargain Basement every now and again for offers!).

chrome

@Chrome307, More4 is not free on satellite.

@DOS you should read the thread here- http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57368
as that gives an idea of some channels that are available. It depends what you are looking for but there is a full list of free channels on a sky dish here- _http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

Second hand isnt always a great way of saving money and i personally have never recommended a Humax, Samsung or Fortec Star and never would do, so be careful m8. A sky box or sky dish is ok for free channels but very limited equipment.

Regards

Ok, thanks for the info. I will look into what you have suggested.

I dont currently have any satellite equipment, as i was unsure of what i needed.

DOS

Ok, i had a quick look. Would i be able to get the channels listed here (http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57368) using sky equipment, or would i need some kind of generic sytem?

If i needed a generic system, could i get a sky freesat card, and use that, or do i need a sky digibox?

Thanks a lot for your help,

DOS

edit: Also, are all the channels listed on the forum digital? Is there a difference between digital and analog dishes, i know there is a difference for boxes-i think :)

DOS said:
Ok, i had a quick look. Would i be able to get the channels listed here (http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57368) using sky equipment, or would i need some kind of generic sytem?
Sky equipment is only for sky channels and the free-to-air channels at 28degrees, and is limited in its functions. All other satellite equipment is universal except that you cant get 'sky-card' channels, but you still can get free-to-air ones.

DOS said:
If i needed a generic system, could i get a sky freesat card, and use that, or do i need a sky digibox?
Sky freesat card needs a sky digibox. Sky choose to be different from every other provider, its as simple as that.

DOS said:
Also, are all the channels listed on the forum digital? Is there a difference between digital and analog dishes, i know there is a difference for boxes-i think :)
All the channels listed are Digital. A dish will reflect any signal- analogue or digital, but its the LNB that must be digital compatible. If you buy second-hand then you may buy something that is only for analogue, digital and analogue equipment can be very different.

Ok, one last thing before i start looking at what I could get:

Do i just buy a satellite dish+lnb, and a satellite reciever, point the dish to the right place, and i will recieve channels

or is it more complicated than that?

This is the only forum that has actually explained anything about satellite tv to me, i suppose other ones just presume if you dont have satellite, you wont know how to use it.

Thanks for your help,

DOS

DOS said:
Do i just buy a satellite dish+lnb, and a satellite reciever, point the dish to the right place, and i will recieve channels....
That is pretty much what you do m8. Some people find it hard to do but some find it easy, caravaners and mobile home enthusiasts do it every weekend and satellite does not have to be complicated. However, its much easier if you have a basic sat meter and compass and with practice you can soon get the satellite you want within seconds. It really depends how confident you are with some DIY and experimenting, it can easily become a hobby rather than just watchin TV.

All the help you need found here, just ask.

Thanks for that, all the info has been a great help.

Im off to find some bargain equipment :)

I'll let you know when i get something working.

Back