Want a new DSLR, but which one?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I have had my Sony DSC-P10 pretty much since the first week it came out and it takes nice pictures but I want something better!

I have always had Sony when it comes to cameras but from what I have read I might be better off going with Nikon or Canon?

What are the best options, I have been looking at the:
Sony DSLR A200
Canon EOS 40D
Nikon D40

What would be the best choice for a novice, apprantly the Sony doesnt come with a wide range of lense etc where as the Canon and Nikon has interchangeable lenses is that right? The max I want to spend is £500 including extras. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know as I would like to purchase the camera by the weekend.

I'd go for the Nikon, but that's just a personal preference for the brand.

Any reason why? Which model would you recommend?

I just like Nikons, the lenses are excellent and the D40 has had good reviews. Make sure you've had a play them all at a dealers before buying though.

With any SLR, not just digital, I'd base my purchase mostly on the features of the camera, not those of the kit lens. (Obviously a nice kit lens would save additional initial outlay.)

As for lenses:
  • There might not be as many 'sony' lenses as there are Canon, Nikon et al but the Alpha DSLR range can use minolta lenses as the Sony Alpha mount is just a rebranding of the old Minolta AF mount. (Sony bought Minolta's camera arm a few years ago).
  • The Canon can use any EOS lens. (Although it may be able to use older still?)
  • The Nikon can use most Nikon/Nikkor lenses (or so I've read).
As nara says have a play of each in the likes of Jessops, Jacobs, local indie. Keep an eye out for cashback offers at the moment, i.e. £60 back on the EOS 40D until the 21st Sep and £50 back on the EOS 450D until 12th Jan 2009.

Once you buy a SLR/DSLR you generally stick with the brand, even more so when you start buying more lenses. For example I've recently bought a Samsung GX20 as I'd already 'invested' in the pentax lens mount.

Hi......

I've been looking at similar models, The nikon and Canon are highly recommended for various reasons....... but as someone already said, its the features that are important.
This website has pictures people have taken with those cameras and they get very good results - InterfaceLIFT: Wallpaper sorted by Date

However, isnt the Canon going well over your £500 limit?

For me the Olympus E520 with the twin lens kit is a bargain.

I got a Sony A700 but if I was you and if you can find one, go and buy the Canon 40D. Superb camera. you won't regret it.

i have the nikon d40, great dslr, bought it on a whim as a new hobby and have only used it a few times, its sat in its case and im seriously considering ebaying it as its an expensive toy to have laying about and not being used.

great camera though, did all the usual close up shots and the running water shots which capture every bead when you get the right settings.

just beware though make sure you will use it as mines been out of the house twice and its only taken a few hundred pictures, its a big unit for holidays so i went out and bought a lumix for my jollies, d40 good camera just make sure you need want one beofre you commit as they and all dslr's are not cheap.

I got a Sony A700 but if I was you and if you can find one, go and buy the Canon 40D. Superb camera. you won't regret it.

Thread was posted over a year ago, but since the post I have bought a Sony A350 and upgraded to the A700 two months ago. I have got into sports photography and having my first set of pictues published next week :D

Back