VW Main Dealers - MOT -daylight robbery

gooner71

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine booked her car in to a VW main dealers to have it MOT'd thinking it would be reputable. What a joke!!! Its a Ford Puma and it failed on a few bits and pieces initially - headlight alignment - link bar - indicator nothing major and all sorted before the re-test. On the original fail sheet it also said emissions not tested and they explained that it wasn't worth it as the other stuff had to be sorted first??

Anyway took it down for the re-test Friday and they said they couldn't test the emissions now as it is overheating? Well first we have known about it? So argues the toss that they should have tested the emissions on the initial test - that way if it was overheating it could have been sorted before the re-test.

They agreed to re-test it today so over the weekend I ran the car for a few miles - then left it running on the drive for over half and hour sat, sun and today, plus the couple of miles drive over to the test place and guess what...... they reckon its still overheating ad they can't test the emissions?? It never goes above half way on the gauge and there is no visible sign from the engine that it might be overheating?

I can only assume that they are trying it on and trying to force her to pay for work that clearly doesn't need doing???

Cheeky twats.

I do a lot of work for vag group (vw, audi, seat and skoda dealerships).

I am not surprised your friend got ripped off all i can say its a good job she didn't take it to an audi dealership. Anybody that buys an audi or vw and wonders why the car or servicing is so expensive its an eye opener when you go behind the scenes. People in the offices/workshops forget you are a contractor and not an employee.

When she said she had taken it there I was saying - they will pick up on every little thing and thought it was a mistake - I balanced it by saying at least you know the car will be safe and not just passed with major defects!! I didn't for a minute think they would be rip off merchants just scamming people to bring in extra work!!!! Next call VOSA!!!

i have had similer probs with peugout dealer.
i drive a company car, took my car in for m.o.t. and service to a main dealer.
i was told car needed thousands of pounds worth of work just to pass m.o.t.
leasing company refused to authorise work and i was told to take it to another garage.
upshot is , this garage said all faults pointed out by first garage were either minor or marginal problems which wouldn't cause car to fail...
wouldn't trust any of them....

You should have asked for your money back after the first test

You pay for the car to be tested - Emmisions is part of this, as for there opinion not to bother doing the rest of the test until it was fixed was a lot of shite - Its my opinion that if i pay for a full MOT test i fully expect them to compleate the test before failing it!

You should have asked for your money back after the first test

You pay for the car to be tested - Emmisions is part of this, as for there opinion not to bother doing the rest of the test until it was fixed was a lot of shite - Its my opinion that if i pay for a full MOT test i fully expect them to compleate the test before failing it!

Totally agree, emissions test is part of MOT so if they charged for doing the MOT then emissions test should have been completed unless it was impossible for them to do so, for example if the car refused to start or cut out before the warm up time.

If they didn't carry out part of the test you are entitled to a refund, the only way you can do this is if you think that it would be dangerous or damage the engine or equipment, not cause you can't be arsed. Call vosa and see what they have to say.

thebigman

Thanks for the replies - some foof for thought there!!

Aye i'd try and get your money back, might be a bit late now though

Where abouts do you live, if its near glasgow i can recommend you a good garage!

curious in irl for nct the first tests done are headlight aim and emissions and if in trouble would drive straight through without any other tests done,did you observe your car been tested or is a different thing in uk.:proud:

It's up tp the tester when he does the brake and emission tests, in theory you can really do all the test in any order you like as long as you carry out all the checks required. In practice though VOSA like you to use the routine in the testers manual and it's easier.

thebigman

so uk differs from irl then as we have test lanes with different tests done at each station,in irl you cant start at the middle:proud:cheers

It's up tp the tester when he does the brake and emission tests, in theory you can really do all the test in any order you like as long as you carry out all the checks required. In practice though VOSA like you to use the routine in the testers manual and it's easier.

thebigman

Yeah it does matter what order there done in - Long as its all compleated

Which didnt happen in this case they didnt bother going the emmisions test!

Did you get anywhere with this ?

did you observe your car been tested or is a different thing in uk.:proud:

You are perfectly entitled to ask to observe the test. All stations should have an area to permit this, you are not allowed to distract the tester though.

thebigman

Back