Vu+ Duo, my first impressions

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so ive just unwrapped it, not got time untill the weekend to flash it and have a good play, but........

Everything about the packaging makes me think 'recycled', from the plain black ink on brown cardboard box (i know the box gets thrown anyway) to the instruction manual with a very 'grainy' looking card cover

anyway, taken out of the box, and got a screwdriver, and lifted the lid, first thing i noticed is how cramped the power supply looks, and start to think that this is going to be the receivers weak point in the future, then as i put the lid down, theres also heat reflective padding on the inside of it, this will reflect the heat away from the actual case, but back towards the electronics, making me think even more than in 18-24 months, there'll be people starting to complain about missing channels, power dropouts, dish moving problems etc as the caps start to overheat and fail

all of the cables are present inside for a sata drive to plug straight in, and fitting a fan shouldnt be too dificult

open the little box with the remote etc in, and.....WTF is that!!!???!!!

it has to be the ugliest fkin remote ive ever seen in my life, and ive seen a lot of them. all white, with white buttons, and black text, except for the record button, power button and the 4 coloured buttons, and most of them when you press them, you can feel and hear a definate 'click'. EWWWW

also comes with the usual cheapy batteries, a HDMI lead, a fig8 power lead, with an EU plug, so unless you stick something in your socket to open the contacts (dont try this at home kids) youll need an adaptor, and screws and rubber washers to screw the hard drive into place

for now, the lids back on, and its back in the box untill the weekend, and to allow me to get over the shock of the remote

Ill play more with the images etc then, and post back, unless i sell it first cos i really dont like that remote lol

Wow thats a bit negative but thats how it is sometimes with these things if you dont like it you probably never will lets face it you havent even pluged it in and you really dont like it. I was the same when I bought a technomate 600 I just could not get rid of it quick enougth I hated it from opening the box to taking the cash when i sold it on what a peice of poorly supported junk, but my mate loves it.

I have had my Duo for about 5 months now and have not used the box or the manual once. As for the remote I also have a white one I beleive a black one is available and at leaste it aint as ugly as a dreambox remote they are like a brick lol.

I side with every word of mickbrush on this one. Unusual for me to disagree with the mighty DD lol.

Like mickbrush said it a bit harsh review as you have not plunged it in yet.

But every one is allowed his own opinion as they say but the vast majority of owners love theirs.

Like mickbrush said it a bit harsh review as you have not plunged it in yet.

But every one is allowed his own opinion as they say but the vast majority of owners love theirs.
same as ur picture of the man pissing on the tm800

everybody is entitlied to there opinion
and i would take didgidudes over u anyday

I think people are actualy missing my point maybe i did not choose my words well. but to be clear sometimes you do not like somthing and nothing will change that but it is a mater of personal choice and Digidude has the right not to like this box.

same as ur picture of the man pissing on the tm800

everybody is entitlied to there opinion
and i would take didgidudes over u anyday

Sorry it was childish and immature of me and it wont happen again i promise:bighug::bighug::bighug:

i do like the look of the actual receiver itself, even if it seems a bit big. the packaging, and manual never gets used as pointed out, but, these are the very first things you see.

I dont mean to sound negative about the receiver, loads of people are raving about it, which is why i got it, but i do think that the remote is really ugly lol. just for the record, i think the best remote ive seen with a receiver is the spiderbox 9000 remote, if one of those could be re-programmed to work this receiver (just like it works my tv and dvd-r) then id deffo kep it

just use a harmony 515 on it for a while. The remote seems wonderful after that lol

I think dude is entitled to have his view. I am not like Davidh though, I dont take 1 view of a friend and think that must be the end of the story. Of course members could point out why dude would write biased views on purpose, as his support is firmly elsewhere. But tbh I think it is right to read negative reviews so you can decide what would suit you, or not suit you.
If the worst thing dude can come up with is that he guesses it will run hot and burn out in a year, and the remote is ugly, then it really will make me buy it off of him because it would be an amazingly superb box to not have any real faults. I do want to hear the rest of it to see what other bad points are found so we can make our own minds up. :)

I think dude is entitled to have his view. I am not like Davidh though, I dont take 1 view of a friend and think that must be the end of the story. Of course members could point out why dude would write biased views on purpose, as his support is firmly elsewhere. But tbh I think it is right to read negative reviews so you can decide what would suit you, or not suit you.
If the worst thing dude can come up with is that he guesses it will run hot and burn out in a year, and the remote is ugly, then it really will make me buy it off of him because it would be an amazingly superb box to not have any real faults. I do want to hear the rest of it to see what other bad points are found so we can make our own minds up. :)

I just want to know how long it takes for him to blow it up :)

Last edited:
I just want to kno whow long it takes for him to blow it up :)

a good bit longer than it takes him to blow one of these up i would imagine ;)

lg-dolly-the-inflatable-she.jpg

I don't care either way, I want one. :)

The remote looks like it should have come with a Wii.

Some pictures of the packaging and box.

Vu+ Views children as the future.

Aye and so does Whitney Houston.

saying that dudes support is else where is wrong
he does give an honest opinion of all the boxes he reviews

and why i say i would take dudes opinion over many other ppl is his expert knowledge of the sat systems

ppl on this forum of late
just to the wrong conclutions very quickly

i do give ppl a fair chance
not just jump in with both feet

have a read of bassethounds posts and see if he doesnt like tm

ok he is entitled to his opinion
the same as i am

I like technomates i have had 600/800/6800/6900 and older models but none have been so disappointing as my experience of tm800 i know it will be a cracking box one day but i fear that day is a long way off!

I still have a tm600 in my caravan that runs flawlessly and i recommend this to most people as good box for newbies to learn on.

Well, now you really are taking the p*ss.:proud:

What's not to love about Johnny Five?

Fook it, I'm goinna dig out my Short Circuit DVD and watch it with a few pints. :)

Here is another picture of the Vu+ Duo....

Johnny5_04.jpg

Back