VPS vs Hosted - and reccomendations please

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im looking to migrate our e-commerce site and was after some ideas as to what people see best VPS or hosting. I appreciate that VPS is dedicated as opposed to shared resource wise but was wondering if anyone else had any nuggets to share?

Also with regards to VPS can anyone recommend any places please? The site is Wordpress with Woocommerce (I don't really have any traffic data to hand)

Thanks

Actually you are wrong about VPS been dedicated ... you control the VM, but the physical hardware will be running multiple VM's, so you will still be sharing some resources (such as LAN port).

My recommendation is if you want to run the site yourself and not share resources, get a dedicated server (OVH do some cheap ones at Low-cost dedicated servers - Servers at an unbeatable price - Kimsufi that should be suitable for a starter.

If your not familiar with running servers yourself (security, Linux etc.) then I suggest hosted web service.

these have been rock solid, i use them for hosting and VPS
Unlimited Web Hosting UK Limited

mediatemple.net has always been extremely reliable for me and their support are quick, knowledgeable and willing to help you achieve your hosting goals. note: i have no affiliation other than being a current customer.

Actually you are wrong about VPS been dedicated ... you control the VM, but the physical hardware will be running multiple VM's, so you will still be sharing some resources (such as LAN port).

My recommendation is if you want to run the site yourself and not share resources, get a dedicated server (OVH do some cheap ones at Low-cost dedicated servers - Servers at an unbeatable price - Kimsufi that should be suitable for a starter.

If your not familiar with running servers yourself (security, Linux etc.) then I suggest hosted web service.

Yeah as hackmax said a VPS is simply a VM on a hypervisor, normally ESXi, but could be an ipar on IBM kit or similar.

What's your budget for this server? What restrictions do you require? OS/storage required?

Go over to reddit and there are massive threads on this exact subject with people making various recommendations.

Budget depends really I think anything around £10 a month would be fine - was looking at another forum post on here somewhere with some good suggestions. As said its for work (hosting our ecommerce site) so we can spend a bit more as required.

Budget depends really I think anything around £10 a month would be fine - was looking at another forum post on here somewhere with some good suggestions. As said its for work (hosting our ecommerce site) so we can spend a bit more as required.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

That's going to be your best bet Shabba

Back