Connectivity Vpn

nodyahead1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Whenever I use a VPN connector(or whatever the term is as long as you know what I mean), the downloading of whatever web pages I want to browse gets so freaking slow that it's impossible to get one task done within one hour of time.

IS there a fast and easy to use VPN service available(doesn't have to be free BTW)

THANKS IN ADVANCE:)

It does depend on the vpn provider, I use earthvpn and my internet speed is unaffected, very cheap at $4 a month. I use openvpn connection through a DD WRT router running in series to my main router, so effectively I have two separate networks.

I had similar problems, I also found with the likes of Cyberghost I couldn't find a decent area / country to log on to without it dragging the PC to a crawl

I agree with janobi. Traffic over a VPN will always be slower than your non-VPN traffic, since it has to encrypt/decrypt everything, communicate with a remote endpoint doing the same, and that endpoint then has to route all inbound/outbound traffic. Plus, whatever bandwidth you're getting, they're using twice the bandwidth to handle your traffic (in to them and back out to you), so unless you're paying a lot of money, don't expect a whole lot of speed.

I use NordVPN . I find it works really well with downloading. I've not noticed any issues. Plenty of servers all over the World - over 5,000. There is a 'no log policy', which means they do not keep your internet browsing activity. I think it's based in Panama, where, if an ISP/ACE, etc are interested in your activity, under Panama law, they cannot request anything. Even if they did, the no log policy means they'd get nothing anyway. Maybe not the cheapest around, but I've had no issues, apart from the early days when they didn't have a Firestick-friendly version. They've sorted that out now. Many use IPVanish as well. Very popular. IPVanish has over 1,000. Using free VPNs might be handy, but your activity is logged, and, with servers that can't be verified, connection will be slow.

Shop around. As in life most times, you get what you pay for.

Private Internet Access excellent and speed does not drop.

Your speed will drop over VPN, it has to, as the way VPN’s work you have to have a drop in speed. You will not be getting the full speed you have at home.

I use NordVPN . I find it works really well with downloading. I've not noticed any issues. Plenty of servers all over the World - over 5,000. There is a 'no log policy', which means they do not keep your internet browsing activity. I think it's based in Panama, where, if an ISP/ACE, etc are interested in your activity, under Panama law, they cannot request anything. Even if they did, the no log policy means they'd get nothing anyway. Maybe not the cheapest around, but I've had no issues, apart from the early days when they didn't have a Firestick-friendly version. They've sorted that out now. Many use IPVanish as well. Very popular. IPVanish has over 1,000. Using free VPNs might be handy, but your activity is logged, and, with servers that can't be verified, connection will be slow.

Shop around. As in life most times, you get what you pay for.

I pay $2 per month. I’d say that’s pretty cheap. Also with nord.

Last edited:
I've just come back from the US and I setup VPN using my home router (Asus RT-AC88U), I got the full speed of whatever WiFi I was using at the time (hotel, McDonalds etc..) I used the open VPN client on my phone and tablet. it worked much better than anything else I've tried and is completely free.

No good if you want to use it for dodgy tv boxes though as it is tied to your home IP address.

I've just come back from the US and I setup VPN using my home router (Asus RT-AC88U), I got the full speed of whatever WiFi I was using at the time (hotel, McDonalds etc..) I used the open VPN client on my phone and tablet. it worked much better than anything else I've tried and is completely free.

No good if you want to use it for dodgy tv boxes though as it is tied to your home IP address.

What upload bandwidth do you have (server-wise)?

I've used a home OpenSSH server for quite a while and PuTTY for Windows remote clients or ConnectBot for Android remote clients to create a SSH tunnel.

The tunnel seems to limit my download to ~4MBit (I'm sure I'd seen higher before some phone updates...), whereas I'd get up to 60MBit download without the SSH tunnel enabled on 4G using data connection.

I have 350/20MBit connection and my server CPU doesn't go over 7% when the tunnel saturates at around 4MBit. Getting 20% of my internet upload seems a bit low even with the encryption overheads.

Ping is relatively high from phone at ~80ms.

If anyone has any ideas... :)

What upload bandwidth do you have (server-wise)?

I've used a home OpenSSH server for quite a while and PuTTY for Windows remote clients or ConnectBot for Android remote clients to create a SSH tunnel.

The tunnel seems to limit my download to ~4MBit (I'm sure I'd seen higher before some phone updates...), whereas I'd get up to 60MBit download without the SSH tunnel enabled on 4G using data connection.

I have 350/20MBit connection and my server CPU doesn't go over 7% when the tunnel saturates at around 4MBit. Getting 20% of my internet upload seems a bit low even with the encryption overheads.

Ping is relatively high from phone at ~80ms.

If anyone has any ideas... :)
I was getting between 15-18mb using speedtest on my phone on decent hotel WiFi. My home connection is 20mb upload. This Asus router is a beefy one it has no problem providing full upload/download speed.

I was using the phone and tablet for browsing and banking etc.. but no streaming or gaming.

I wasn't using the mobile network (3g/4g etc..) just WiFi.

I was getting between 15-18mb using speedtest on my phone on decent hotel WiFi. My home connection is 20mb upload. This Asus router is a beefy one it has no problem providing full upload/download speed.

I was using the phone and tablet for browsing and banking etc.. but no streaming or gaming.

I haven't tried WIFI yet but it feels like my upload is throttling something. I'm sure I saw 14Mbit before updates...

What client were you using on your phone @Captin?

I can't get public key authentication working on Connectbot, which seems to be a common problem. Sick of typing password in and it looks like data gets switched off, or Connecbot closes the connection, when the phone sleeps. Might be able to change a setting for that but there are problems with it.

Back