VPN settings

lagigolo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
At work we have a secure network which i can dial into from a laptop. I have just found out that by plugging in my laptop and connecting it through my broadband connection (with some help from works support desk), I will be able to access it more quickly.

I have asked if I could access it from my home pc (just saving time on setting everything up all the time) and they reckon it has to be from the laptop because of the settings.

Once I have the settings do you think I will be able to change anything on my pc to enable me to log in????

probably not, when u use a vpn the data is encypted and as part of the pre initalisation u need the certificate from the host on your pc.
your works laptop will have been connected directly to your network in the IT dept and the certs will have been loaded. unless u can take your pc into work and connect directly to the network then the certificates will not be on your machine.
the vpn's ive been involved with have been like that anyway.

At work we have a secure network which i can dial into from a laptop. I have just found out that by plugging in my laptop and connecting it through my broadband connection (with some help from works support desk), I will be able to access it more quickly.

I have asked if I could access it from my home pc (just saving time on setting everything up all the time) and they reckon it has to be from the laptop because of the settings.

Once I have the settings do you think I will be able to change anything on my pc to enable me to log in????
What sort of VPN client are you using. My company uses Cisco all you do is install the client and copy the certificates forlder form the laptop to the oth pc you wish to use.

Wasnt' sure what client they are using, but just rung up helpdesk to get them to set it up on laptop, so i could get some more info, but they won't do it because i am running 2000, they reckon its not secure enough. They want me to upgrade to XP first. So will have to come back to this at a later date.

Cheers.

I would say try and respect what they asked and use the laptop. There are many reasons IT do this, 1 - if you leave the laptop is returned with all company data, 2 - Your home PC may have spyware and viruses that is out of their managment and control. 3 - You install the software on your home PC and immediately think that the company is now your personal IT support for your own PC. 4 - You cant now connect becuase of someting you installed on your home pc and they have to spend 10 hours troubleshooting it.
I know you can get around it but if they find out they WILL be pissed, I would be extremely annoyed.

Back