VPN on firestick connected but traffic not routing

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just setup digitbit vpn and connected but my firestick is not routing traffic thru the VPN

using whatsmyip.org give me my VM public IP not the VPN public IP

change VPN as i think its crap as a service

try express 7 day trial with a fix or nord etc

digitbit vpn client doesnt work on a firestick but pefect;ly on a Android TV box

Whilst digitbit is one of the worst VPNs out it will connect to your device. If your online habits are masked by them is open for debate.
(i doubt they are)

It is almost certain issue is not with the VPN, the issue seems you are using a “first” generation firestick.
You can download VPNs on first generation firesticks, it will say your connected....... BUT YOUR NOT!

VPNs will only work on second generation onwards. It looks like your running first generation.

I have Digibit VPN on my firecube Runs perfecty.
River4ever your correct old firesticks don't run vpns.

I've always used Nord but for one reason or another it's been sh*t recently. I've played around with different countries and speed test and my FS is hard wired but it still freezes. As soon as I stop it ,,,bush ! no freezing. It can only be the Nord VPN giving me jip

Any VPN uses system resource and the firestick does not have a great deal so it could be that the firestick is struggling to cope with the encryption. Test the theory from same server on firestick and PC the pc will be quicker.

I run nord from my router easily get 80% of my broadband speed if i use the lower encryption settings more but im not sure you can do that on the app.

I've always used Nord but for one reason or another it's been sh*t recently. I've played around with different countries and speed test and my FS is hard wired but it still freezes. As soon as I stop it ,,,bush ! no freezing. It can only be the Nord VPN giving me jip

It's not that simple. VPN will reduce your bandwidth as it has to encrypt/decrypt the packets and that takes a little bit longer. I used to use nord to access stuff that was blocked, but they were bought out by another company, and their prices went up considerably, so I stopped using them.

As ferret said, you could run it direct from the router, or alternatively, get a Pi and run it from there. It depends on how much effort you want to use to get what you want. Presume you're using a VPN as your service is getting blocked by the ISP, might be worth looking for a new service, there are so many available these days, there is plenty of choice. IMHO, any provider that knows what they're doing, shouldn't be getting ISP blocked, they can hide behind a CDN, or even rotate the DNS they're using to avoid the blocks.

Just on the subject of iptv and vpn, once you pay for a sub that's it, the server has your payments details whether it's your bank or PayPal, whatever.

The sub-servers that have been recently brought down in the UK?, well those people who bought a sub stood a good chance of getting a scare mongering letter saying to stop using iptv.

This seems to be a new tactic were the iptv police are targeting the end user rather than the server simply because some of these servers are in countries were the authorities don't give a flyer or don't have the resources.

Just on the subject of iptv and vpn, once you pay for a sub that's it, the server has your payments details whether it's your bank or PayPal, whatever.

The sub-servers that have been recently brought down in the UK?, well those people who bought a sub stood a good chance of getting a scare mongering letter saying to stop using iptv.

This seems to be a new tactic were the iptv police are targeting the end user rather than the server simply because some of these servers are in countries were the authorities don't give a flyer or don't have the resources.
Depends on how the payment is made, and whether they keep records or not. Lots are moving to crypto to hide payments better. Also you normally go through an intermediary, rather than dealing direct with the supplier. So it's normally these intermediaries that give up your details, or the authorities get court orders for them.

These tactics are nothing new, the people getting letters or caught are normally low hanging fruit. We've all seen the adverts/groups on facebook, and we all know a dude who can get you IPTV cheap (£30pa for instance), but will then disappear when things go wrong. Going after the servers doesn't really do anything, you can move your infrastructure around so easily and quickly these days, that if they take one down, then another four pop up in its place relatively quickly.

The problem is, and always has been that once these things go mainstream, then they get noticed. It happened with cardsharing, it happened with the NTL boxes, and now it's the IPTV scene. When there is money to be made, then people will exploit it for their own means and ends, and there will always be collateral damage along the way. Very rarely do the actual suppliers get hit, there's been a few in Spain and Italy recently, but it's not really made a big dent in the scene. There are only so many top level suppliers our there, and they in turn then supply the smaller suppliers with the additional content/channels.

Taking out the low hanging fruit looks good for the cops doing it, as they appear to be cracking down, and they get some arrests and few articles in the news, but everyone knows it's a drop in the ocean compared to what's actually happening. Just go look at various sites offering these services, and you'll see an absolute abundance of sellers/resellers offering deals or subs for stupid prices, and people will just pay and see what it's like, then if you're unhappy you move onto another seller/reseller. In all honesty, you're likely buying the same service from another person, that you've likely had off someone else, as I said there are only so many top level suppliers out there.

They don't have to keep records of payments. If they catch a decent size server then the authorities - Police can simply apply for the bank statements or PayPal and all will be revealed. Then there's the IP's as lots can't be bothered covering themselves with a VPN. As for bitcoin payments ? the vast majority of people who can't afford Sly and opt'ed for IPTV wouldn't have a scooby how to buy IPTV with bitcoin and tbh nor would I as I have never dabbled in it.
All that I'm saying is, it's the overwhelming amount of forgien servers that right now are not been touched that is forcing the the Police and whoever to scare monger the end user/buyer. It's abit like the old TV licence ad's made to scare the sh*t out of the non dodgey people out there.
Just as a tip, there and a million free servers out there Google is your friend. Stick a VPN on if you get a week or 2 weeks then just grab another. I'm not going to say were (coughs extremely loud) but it rhymes with smellyham

They don't have to keep records of payments. If they catch a decent size server then the authorities - Police can simply apply for the bank statements or PayPal and all will be revealed. Then there's the IP's as lots can't be bothered covering themselves with a VPN. As for bitcoin payments ? the vast majority of people who can't afford Sly and opt'ed for IPTV wouldn't have a scooby how to buy IPTV with bitcoin and tbh nor would I as I have never dabbled in it.
All that I'm saying is, it's the overwhelming amount of forgien servers that right now are not been touched that is forcing the the Police and whoever to scare monger the end user/buyer. It's abit like the old TV licence ad's made to scare the sh*t out of the non dodgey people out there.
Just as a tip, there and a million free servers out there Google is your friend. Stick a VPN on if you get a week or 2 weeks then just grab another. I'm not going to say were (coughs extremely loud) but it rhymes with smellyham
Do you honestly think all the people that are getting caught are the ones running the servers? They're just resellers, who are advertising on bacefook and places. The only providers i've seen busted recently, have been in Spain and Italy, and they're likely smaller operations, and not at the top of the food chain. The bigger ones you don't hear from, the floorless admin (UK) got busted a few years ago, and nothing happened to him.

It's not and never has been about affordability. Why pay for something, when you can have it for free. That is always the attitude of people, i'd say 95% of those running an IPTV sub, likely have a VM/Sly sub as well. They just don't have all the channels, so they get this as it's cheaper and easier. And Dave down the pub said it's the mutts nuts, and he'll sort it for me if it goes wrong.

Foreign servers? How'd you know where they're hosted? They could be in UK data centres, or they could be in the Azure cloud, or AWS or dedi servers somewhere else. Whilst servers in Russia for instance, wouldn't be touchable, it's also extremely unlikely that the Russians are the ones doing the IPTV, it's peanuts to them, and ransomware is much more profitable. Also, not even the ruskies are stupid enough to host stuff in their own countries, major parts of the network will be in other countries. Same will be happening for IPTV, there isn't just 1 server that provides all the content, there are multiple servers across multiple DCs, in all parts of the world.

On your final point about free servers, do you not think these are being monitored? You're going to get IP logged as soon as you hit them, your VPN isn't going to do anything, unless you've got one that doesn't store logs (There are only a few), then you need to pay for that VPN in an untraceable manner, or obfusicated. Bitcoin/Monero would be best for this, but only after going through a few intermediaries first.

There is no sure fire way of getting services and staying anonymous, especially from non-technical people who are buying stuff off Dave down the local boozer.

1638994621917.png

Anyone uk based buying NordVPN make sure you use the Quidco cashback app :). 80% cashback 👍

personally not tried it but lots say it works

Back