Volvo S80 Challenge

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a decent old bus. High mileage, cheap, working my way through a few minor irritations. It's a Volvo S80 D5 2002.

After about 20-30 minutes driving the fuel gauge drops to zero, closely followed by the Miles to Empty Tank display. First finger of suspicion pointed to the DIM (Driver Information Module) which is a computer in its own right. I was thinking heat-related electronics.

There's a twist though (there would be!). Steady driving and the fuel gauge remains stubbornly at zero although the low fuel warning light doesn't always come on. In fact, it mostly stays off. Slow into a junction, go round a bend etc. and the fuel gauge comes back up although as soon as steady driving is reached again it will go off. It usually does this as the automatic box hits high gear. The automatic box is fully mechanical.

The car has a saddlebag tank with the drivers side feeding the engine, the passenger side has a pump in to balance the two sides out. Both sides have a float and level sensor in them.

I'm about to remove the floats to check for intermittent shorts to earth which is a known fault, apparently.

If anyone has any experience of this please do tell!

Back