Volmeter method for ird/boxkey

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone experiencing problems using an led simm with a relevant box may find this useful.

Chookey

Last edited:
I need to get a BK from a PACE 4001, and am considering VM method, since my LED Simm seems to only give me bk1 and IRD, but not BK2. (in this particular box)

In pic 4, are the 4 yellow dots all connected together, or the 2 closest to each other (i.e 2 yellow wires, or 3?) Same for question for blue.

Pic 5, what are the red lines at the end all about - do they hook onto the blue line?

Once wired up does one plug the simm in and prod the VM probes into the bottom of the simm where the simm slot meets the simm?

HAs anyone done this, or is there an easier / better way to get a BK from a 4001NC?

Thanks all!!!

The LED simm is just an easier way to read the BK than faffing around with a VM. I made a mistake once with a vm and got one bit wrong, spent ages trying to figure out. If you measure using the VM method it is definately worth double checking your readings!

If you have an LED simm this will work and there is no point in VM method, your problem must be with your soldering?

This guide might be a bit clearer.

You need to do the underside wiring as the guide, but use the led simm switches instead of doing the simm wiring. Read the leds instaed of using vm as it should give same result.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply but I can't seem to open part2, of the archive, seems corrupt?

I should mention it's a P+P Simm from tmc, I have been reading and I think getting a full BK out a 4001 can be a real pain sometimes, someone suggested shorting out the 2 pins on top of the board in between switching, and power-on-off.

Also, is there any point to soldering the bottom of the board with a P+P simm, will it make it more likely to work?

Check this link for another box that I did for my neighbour, the P+P simm kinda worked, had to test voltage over each LED and ignore whether on or off. http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=77843&highlight=jaffamuffin

Sorry mate will repost the files as a PDF.

Also sorry for possibly bad advice... I've not used one of these P&P simms, guess that means no board messing?

The LED simms I've used still required board soldering and had swithches to change between IRD and BK LSB/MSB so avoded simm rewiring. The one I used didn't have a push button.
Not sure how this works with yours, or if you need to do any mods to the man PCB?

The guide attached (hopefully this time) is what i used to get a BK from a 4001 via an old type LED simm, or could equally be used sucessfully with a multimeter provided you've not had too much beer!

If anyone could explain the diference between the working of the new LED simms and the old I'd be interested to know?

AliFixIt

Last edited:
If anyone could explain the diference between the working of the new LED simms and the old I'd be interested to know?

AliFixIt

OK thanks, it works, I'll take a look at it in detail later.

I too would be interested in the the workings of a P_P / non-P+P Simm if anybody has some info.

Whether it be a p+p or solder type led simm you really can't go wrong with the tut I reposted. Can't really imagine how anyone could have any trouble with it, it has got me out of trouble a few times now.
@ ALIFIXIT, you say that you got a digit wrong using the vm method and you rightly advise double checking the readings. I always do that anyway when using either the led simm or vm method!!! There is no need to solder to the board using the old type solder led simm, there is an easy mod to make it plug and play albeit without an ird reading.
The 4001 and its' equivalents were very popular models before the new vm software and the tutorial I reposted (can't find the name of the author) has served very well for quite a lot of members of this and other forums.
I haven't looked at your tut yet cos the original one has served me well, obviously I have permanently wired a spare simm module for this purpose. The original led simm board supplied by Atmelace was a tad thinner than the original and coupled with a dodgy simm connector sometimes lead to unreliable readings. Your tut maybe of value to some but don't knock this one mate, it has served its' purpose well.

Chookey
Just had a quick look at your file..........same thing ain't it?????

Last edited:
will this mod work with a pace 4000???

Back