Vlc

Insane_Jesus

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can browse the files on my computer through the dbox when vlc is running. When i select a media file it sticks at connecting to the streaming server and does nothing else.

Any ideas?

Also, are there any alternatives to using VLC?

Ensure that SPTS mode is enabled on the DBOX. Also make sure that the files are not encoded with something like Xvid/DivX

Spts

SPTS is switched on for recording. How do i switch it on for playback?

pk041468 said:
SPTS is switched on for recording. How do i switch it on for playback?
It can be permantly enabled from the Misc menu on most images, in which case you can leave it off on the recording menu. You don't need to use VLC for TS files, only XVID/DIVX or other non-TS files. I'm not sure you even need SPTS mode for this. Have you read the VLC tutorial? Perhaps your connection problems are caused by a firewall? Also, some people have streaming problems using VLC versions other than 0.72.

Last edited:
Streaming working but....

Got it all working. Streamed a divx episode of lost. Worked well

The ts files that winserver makes dont seem to work though

pk041468 said:
Got it all working. Streamed a divx episode of lost. Worked well

The ts files that winserver makes dont seem to work though
You need to record TS files with ucode0014 and SPTS switched on. Files recorded prior to selectiong those settings won't play even after you change the settings.

pk041468 said:
FOund the Ucode check menu. Ucode is 0014
Are the TS files playable in VLC on the PC? Personally, I use a mounted/shared folder for TS playback on the box, and only use VLC for XVID files.

I am currently using Liams last enigma image, with this and all others i have NEVER seen my pc screen on the tv and never been able to stream files from pc to box.......i have even followed the guide but didnt work for me, Senor ding dong, you are the streaming guru it would seem, thought of building a little tute for it ;).....ill be you best friend ;)

Mounted share

Using a mounted shared folder now. Works gid!!!!

loady said:
I am currently using Liams last enigma image, with this and all others i have NEVER seen my pc screen on the tv and never been able to stream files from pc to box.......i have even followed the guide but didnt work for me, Senor ding dong, you are the streaming guru it would seem, thought of building a little tute for it ;).....ill be you best friend ;)
I wouldn't mind writing a guide, but I am not sure what I could add that isn't already covered in the current guides. It seems to me that most of the problems originate on the PC side of things where anything from different service patches, different versions of Windows, firewalls, and who knows what else, introduce too many variables to include in a helpful guide. I never got around to experimenting with XVID playback on the Enigma image, not sure if it's possible, but it was perfectly happy to play back TS files from a mounted folder.

xvid playback still dodgy

senor dong, can you play xvid movies back without buffering problems? I followed you instructions before but still refuses to play properly. Divx files run OK. If the movies are recorded from US TV like lost etc, does the Xvid file have to converted to PAL?

hhjdhgjsdsjshjs said:
senor dong, can you play xvid movies back without buffering problems? I followed you instructions before but still refuses to play properly. Divx files run OK. If the movies are recorded from US TV like lost etc, does the Xvid file have to converted to PAL?
I play Lost and all my other favorite XVID US shows on the Dbox through VLC. Buffering is not an issue. I have seen this mentioned before, but I am not sure why DIVX world work and XVID won't. Could be something as simple as a codec issue. It's almost certainly a problem on the PC side of things, as VLC encodes to exactly the same format regardless of the source. The best I can suggest is that you try to install the latest XVID codec.

It could also be that the file you're streaming is too "heavy" for real-time encoding. That could well be the case with the high resolution HR/NBS Lost encodes, while the FTV and LOL ones are a lower res. I haven't seen any HR encodes in DIVX, so that could have led to the misconception that DIVX works, when it might in fact be the resolution rather than the format that's the problem. AC3 sound might also be a problem, as it requires more CPU power to decode and encode than MP2 audio. Again, it's rare to find DIVX files with AC3 sound.

Streaming files on dbox is reasonably easy. just make sure your firewall and windows firewall is not pissing about wiht it. If any doubt switch them off and try again.

The only things i can advise. is make sure all your network settings are correct. and test the network>If pinging all round then your good to go. Next go to recording and mount network volume and file out as below
type - CIFS
Server IP - your pc IP
share directory - What the folder your are sharing.(In my case "movies on my d drive so just type "movies"
local directory - /mnt/films ( or /mnt/movies - depending on image depends on navigation of this folder).
Mount on start up - Yes
Mount option - rw.soft.udp
Mount options - dont touch this just leave as is.
username - dbox2
password - dbox2

The only other thing to do is make sure your create an account on windows with user name: dbox2 and password: dbox2.

If you have done this then you should be able to record and also stream the ts recorded files to your dbox. Another post by senior ding dong recommends transcoding xvid/divx to ts files by using Projectx. I would suggest this is the way to go. Or better still get an xbox with XBMC and use that to stream xvid and divx files as they will play with better quality

Also make sure you use vlc version 0.72. i Have found the latest window version of vlc to work ok though .VLC media player - 0.8.4. Some previous version between 0.72 and 0.84 just dont want to play at all

Back