VLC Potentially Doomed

eddison

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I've just been directed to the videolan website regarding emergency legislation that's the EU is gonna attemp to push through while everyone is busy for xmas.

http://www.videolan.org/eucd.html

With this in mind, if there is no tut available to incorporate vlc into an image after post production (so the users do it) could one be produced?

Reason I ask this, is that if this law goes ahead and images are continued to be distributed with vlc, then I imagine the image creators / modifiers will start feeling the heat before anyone else and sites like this could even be shut down.

Apologies if there is a duplicate thread covering this already. On my way out when friend phoned telling me this so I thought I'd get the ball rolling ASAP if it hadn't been covered already.

No images are distributed with VLC, as far as I know. Movie Player is a separate MPEG player, which plays the content VLC sends to it from your PC, and VLC itself is in no way incorporated into the actual images. The Dbox doesn't have enough processing power to do most of what VLC does.

While aspects of this law could affect elements of VLC develpment, I don't see any reason to think this will have an effect on the Dbox community, unless I'm missing something here?

Back