VLAN for Smart Home Hubs?

shafiq786110

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all
I was chatting to a few other folk in the home media/smart home installation field and one of them was talking about putting all smart home control hubs (hue/hive/smartthings etc) on a separate VLAN to stop interference on the main network in the house.

Have any of you done anything similar, if so what do you think?
Also how do i create a VLAN for such a purpose?

Znarf

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am using a seperate SSID and VLAN for all my smart home devices. This vlan is conected via a iptables firewall. ;-)

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
you can either get a expensive enterprise level switch to do VLANS or use DDWRT/Tomato for VLANS.

No to be negative but how much network experience do you have, VLAN can be tricky and you need some advance network understanding.

DawidS28

Inactive User
Reaction score
If you need VLAN-s, you may use some old passive (without coolers) Cisco Catalysts like 3560 with 12 Fast Ethernet ports. It costs less than $100 on Ebay, somethimes even half of that. It's L3 switch - you will be able to configure routing and basic firewall policy using ACL-s. You also may try Mikrotik routers with embedded 4- or 5-port ethernet switch.

jauntyj

New Member ++
Reaction score
i have a sophos firewall and unifi switches and i want to do the same vlan separation between iot devices and home network any ideas?

numericOverflow

New Member ++
Reaction score
I went the separate wireless SSID for guest wifi and IOT devices. I haven't had time to configure the VLAN for wired access yet, guest SSID route was simple enough to restrict local network access.

TEST