VIVID 50 fibre

VectorZ

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk Talk contract is up and they aren't exactly bending over backward to keep my custom, so thinking about a change around.

It's been a long time since I was with Virgin and remember the throttling back used to get on my tatties. I assume this 'traffic shaping' is still in use but was wondering how bad it is. With a 50MB connection what speeds are they likely to throttle back to?

I have heard soooo many people talking about this “throttling” thing. I have been with vermin for years now and never understood what people mean by throttling?
I know what it means but need someone to explain how it makes them want to leave? Or get annoyed.
How does it affect your network?
Can you not watch youtube or stream 4K?

I cant fault vermins broadband as never had my reins pulled back so to speak.

Vodafone have a good deal on. Need to check if they have usenet
63MB down, 20MB up. £29 p/m

Last edited:
I download most of my torrents or usenet stuff overnight now automaticlly, but years ago I'd grab at various points during the day and if you exceeded a 'threshold', which I think was something along the lines of top X% in your area, then it would throttle your download speed to a fraction of what it should be and stayed like that until later in the day.

After a while they moved the goalpost for the worse on what time of day this was in effect and I would regularly get hit by it. And honestly, hand on heart I was not caning it, which is why I got the hump with other users bragging they were practically downloading the internet and not being flagged, and every time I phoned they woudn't give me a figure, just that it was a %. What really pissed me off was I work from home and would need to push around large images and videos for project work back and forth to customers or servers, and had to wait around for ages either uploading or downloading at a rate the fraction of what I was paying for.

Anyway, if it's not am issue any more then I might dip my toe. The best fibre I can get in this area over phoneline is around 41Mbps so might even pay a few quid more on Virgin and go for 100

As mentioned i can only speak from my experience mate. I am a serious user of data with vermin and cant fault it. (apart from mid contract rises)
But without doubt they are one of the best... if not thee best for broadband.
Give them a try, there should be cooling of period if not happy. I do remember awhile back if a virgin media customer recommended a newbie they got £25 of there bill. Not to sure if they still do it, but also worth looking into.
Also i thought 100mbps was the minimum they now offer.

Im on the vivid 100...you get a speed boost to, so i get 108mbps...and a 6 meg upload.

Im forever streaming (iptv) and downloading and i always get a constant speed of 108mbps
as far as in concerned i cant fault them.

As mentioned i can only speak from my experience mate. I am a serious user of data with vermin and cant fault it. (apart from mid contract rises)
But without doubt they are one of the best... if not thee best for broadband.
Give them a try, there should be cooling of period if not happy. I do remember awhile back if a virgin media customer recommended a newbie they got £25 of there bill. Not to sure if they still do it, but also worth looking into.
Also i thought 100mbps was the minimum they now offer.

Lowest they do now is 50 Mbps.

Couldn't see any referral deals unfortunately mate.

Im on the vivid 100...you get a speed boost to, so i get 108mbps...and a 6 meg upload.

Im forever streaming (iptv) and downloading and i always get a constant speed of 108mbps
as far as in concerned i cant fault them.

I've signed up for the VIVID 200 Fibre BB + Phone package :)

Back