Vista Compaq pc

daddymac

Member ++
Reaction score
My cousins pc is newish and there only around 30GB of data on the HD, the drive is 300GB, and its warning that there is low disk space, the disk space pie chart shows almost full??

there is a D partition that is purely for backup - its only 10GB?

I have defragged and cleanup usual stuff, could this be bios?
absolutely any info would be a help??
got me stumped???
DMAC

Try going to the link below and downloading the software. It will tell you what is happening on your drive(s)

http://www.drivespacio.f-sw.com/

Once you have installed it go to the drive tab, right click on your drive and scan. It wil then give you the detail.

Quite useful as a quick way to see what you have on there and a freebie

Also forgot to mention if you just want to turn off the annoying warning then do a registry edit, as long as your ok with that, as follows:

1.Start / Run and type regedit

2.Open - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

3.Right click Explorer and create a New/ DWORD Value.

4.Type in NoLowDiskSpaceChecks and press Enter.

5.Double click the new value.

6.Enter 1 and click OK.

Message will not appear again.

turn off loiw disk spce - u nuts?

just open my computer, go to c:, right click on each folder, go to properties at get back to us with the values.
also the root files on c:, see if any are way too big.

a page file would never reach that size, unless you set it yourself

Vista will use a percentage of free disk space to maintain a pagefile. So it could get huge, right now on the machine I am using its over 2gb.

On my other machine, its much lower - but this is due to it being a virtual machine...

wow a whole 2gb, thats nothing :), he said the drive is 300gb, unless he is using some heavyweight programs, or downloading shedloads of stuff then he should have a decent amount of space free.

a pagefile should really never exceed 2gb, i set a perm one that size on my main box, since ram is so cheap, i have 4gb, dont know if i really need a page file but some programs call for it.

just need to know his folder sizes

just need to know the fellas folder and root file sizes, then off to good old msconfig for a list of non-ms services and startups, trust me i'm a pro :)

turn off loiw disk spce - u nuts?

just open my computer, go to c:, right click on each folder, go to properties at get back to us with the values.
also the root files on c:, see if any are way too big.

a page file would never reach that size, unless you set it yourself

No not not nuts and if you read my post, you obviously still have problems reading posts as you have shown in the past, you will notice I said "If you want to turn of the message". That is why I gave him the option of the software approach.

No not not nuts and if you read my post, you obviously still have problems reading posts as you have shown in the past, you will notice I said "If you want to turn of the message". That is why I gave him the option of the software approach.

how does turning off this message in the reg solve the issue, if YOU had read the posts, the guy said the pie chart stated disk nearly full.

oh and listen mate, been doing this job for about 15 years, so yes i know a thing or two.

if people don't want my help fine

Last edited:
Back