Vista 64-bit

Monty

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi I have a 64-bit proccessor and just wondered if I should install the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Vista. I hear there are a lot of driver issues with the 64 bit version. Any members having problems ?

cheers
Monty

Unless there is something that you specifically need, like > 4GB RAM support of something application specific, I would steer clear for now. Not only driver but application support is patchy.

I beg to differ, I have Vista Ultimate 64bit, I have drivers for all of my hardware. I dont have anything wierd or exotic connected, so that may be the basis for my luck. Plus, all of the software I have installed is fine.

A couple of guys at work have it on their laptops also, and they have had no problems at all.

Vista 64 is fine. 32bit games and apps work great.

Feel free to check that you can get drivers for your hardware first. But most of the major brands have released drivers for Vista or MS have bundled with Vista.

The only issue I've heard of is getting Vista drivers (both 64bit and 32bit) for Creative's older webcams. However, IIRC, Creative did the same with XP and webcams made in the Win98 era...

they certainly did, and if memory serves, it is all of their products that suffered. I think there was a recent court case concerning a chap who took the creative sound card drivers and "made them better" for Vista 64bit

Well from personal experience I'm less than impressed by their X-Fi range, as are many others.

My 'gamers edition' X-Fi makes horrible crackling noises on my P35 mobo. Creative insist the crackling only occurs on a handfull of nf4 motherboards and can only be sorted by nvidia in the form of chipset drivers - this is complete bollocks of course. Its down to Creative not building in an ample buffer to compensate for PCI saturation.

There are various fixes; from custom drivers to BIOS settings to disabling the Creative sound mixer. However, I've bought a Xonar DX2 from ASUS instead. Twice the price (still, cheaper than the X-Fi based cards from Auzentech) but it sounds wonderful.

Last edited:
Back