Vista 360 extender not found

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I've got a 360 and a vista ultimate machine but whenever I try to connect the two through Media Centre it simply says extender not found, check it is on and check the code is correct, both are affirmative.

The 360 and Vista machine are both connected to the router via a network switch, both hard wired.

I have tried connecting my XP MCE laptop to the 360 via wirless and it finds it first time every time.

My housemates vista machine gets a pop up saying nex extender on the network do you wish to connect but I do not. I have checked his PC and the 360 and neither have any existing relationships paired.

I figure it's something to do with my vista but what I just don't know

Any suggestions which might avoid a re-install??

cheers

Last edited:
Can you ping the IP address of the 360 ?

If you have a cross over cable then you can take your switch out of the equation by connecting the 360 directly to the PC. You will need to setup static IP on both to make this work.

Can you ping the IP address of the 360 ?

If you have a cross over cable then you can take your switch out of the equation by connecting the 360 directly to the PC. You will need to setup static IP on both to make this work.

Good question: No. But I'm assuming the 360 can see the Vista else, as I understand it, it won't proceed to the code screen. I think a re-install is in order, even with firewall off I can't ping the xbox

I do have a cross over but I need both connected to the web really for work on the PC and Live on the xbox and rearranging cables each time would just be long.

OK, it was just a thought about the cross over because if your router is port blocking then a reinstallation is not going to help. If I remember correctly Vista uses uPnP to find the 360 ?

OK, it was just a thought about the cross over because if your router is port blocking then a reinstallation is not going to help. If I remember correctly Vista uses uPnP to find the 360 ?

Hmm, so you reckon if I open the relevant ports on the router it might work?

My only doubt is that XP MCE runs through the same router no probs.

My network map shows as follows
so vista can see it

Hmm, so you reckon if I open the relevant ports on the router it might work?

My only doubt is that XP MCE runs through the same router no probs.

My network map shows as follows
so vista can see it

So it should work. If you are OK with doing the reinstallation then go for it. Can't be any worse.

So it should work. If you are OK with doing the reinstallation then go for it. Can't be any worse.

I was hoping it would be a last resort but I been trying for months and just can't find any reason why it won't connect, especially as it can see the xbox, the firewall allows it through, the xbox sees the Vista.

It's a boody pain in the arse but appreciate time and help all the same

cheers pal,

Back