Virus help

adie

Inactive User
Reaction score
My Mother in law asked me to look at her computer as lots of things had stopped working.
When i looked at it, all the desk top applications seem to have stopped working - no my computer, c/panel etc.
If you click on start, they do not appear there either.
I can start them by using Task manager but can't cure the problem. If you look at processes on task manager, the word virus is under lots of the names.

Has anyone seen this b4 and is there a fix without reloading windows as she hasn't got the xp disk?

There might be a fix for it but it's a case of finding out what it is first to get the fix.

Adie....not really alot of info to go on, there are so many viri around.
I assume there isn't any anti-virus software running on the affected m/c? If you can get it to go online you could use one of the free online scanners to get a toe hold back over the system, even if it won't completely clean the m/c, you'll know what the problem is.
If you can't get online, use your m/c anti-virus to make a rescue disk, which should scan and 'fix' the problems on the other m/c. It may be a self booting disk or you'll have to boot to the command prompt in safe mode and run the disk, read the instructions for your a/v...

Hope this helps..let us know how you get on

Back