Virtualisation with VMware question

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to virtualise a PC with the OS drive only?

By default VMware wants to do my backup drive too. Last time I did this the folder was huge.

I suppose I could unplug the disk.

what are you using to virtualise a physical box

Are you using ESX/ESXi - if you use VMWare Convertor you can select the drive you want to virtualise.

what are you using to virtualise a physical box

Are you using ESX/ESXi - if you use VMWare Convertor you can select the drive you want to virtualise.

I'm using VMware Workstation (P2V this PC :)) but I remember having to add something to perform virtualisation.

Do I have to use vCentre Converter Standalone?

It's not critical by any means; just me migrating data and installing new OS while keeping a VM of the old installation. It's temporary and I see that I can shrink the VM HDD. I do like to learn about these things though.

In the past and olden days with VMWare versions 5 thru 8. We used to conduct a ghost backup and use that to build the virtual machine .

Use vCenter Converter Standalone and as you go through the wizard you'll get to the Options screen.

Under the Details to copy section you can click Edit and then deselct volumes you don't wish to copy

Attachments

• Spectre.jpg
    Spectre.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2
Use vCenter Converter Standalone and as you go through the wizard you'll get to the Options screen.

Under the Details to copy section you can click Edit and then deselct volumes you don't wish to copy

Ah, I did it through "Virtualize a Physical Machine" in Workstation Pro. I guess it's just a quick wizard in there rather than giving all the options.

I know for next time :).

Back