Virtual Machine on Win10

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi folks,

is there any way to run a virtual windows say Win 7 on Windows 10?

I have a hardware that's only compatible with Win 7 and want to check if there is any way to run it like we used to run XP on Win 7

Should be , I run linux mint using Oracle VM Virtualbox on windows 10

thanks mate, can you guide me how to do this? Do I need to install a virtual box before installing win7?

As above install virtualbox first , then install your windows7 from iso or disk , looks hard at first but theres plenty of guides on youtube,
give it a go , if your unsure about anything just post again

I know this is a few weeks old. But, make sure the Virtualization option is enabled in BIOS, if your system is new enough to support it. Will be called something like Intel VT or AMD V or even just Virtualization. This dramtically speeds up Virtual Machines running on the system.

There is a bit more too it now. Some virtualization engines such as Hyper-V on Server 2016 require more CPU features such as SLAT.

Windows 10 also has Hyper-V (depending on the edition) - so you may not need VMware or VirtualBox.

Does anyone know what’s best Hyper-V or VMware I am looking to setup but not sure what one is best ?

Does anyone know what’s best Hyper-V or VMware I am looking to setup but not sure what one is best ?

depends what kinda of hypervisor you are looking for. is it a bare-metal or hosted hypervisor you are looking for?

all depends .. I have worked with VMWare and Hyper V at enterprise level and both have benefits. To be fair to Microsoft HyperV from Server 2012 is excellent.

For your case I would consider ESXi (free version) where as with Windows Server you will need a license.

In Win10 --> Start-->Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows Features on or off --> select "windows Hypervisor Platform"
Let it install...
Open and use the Hypervisor
Done!!!

all depends .. I have worked with VMWare and Hyper V at enterprise level and both have benefits. To be fair to Microsoft HyperV from Server 2012 is excellent.

For your case I would consider ESXi (free version) where as with Windows Server you will need a license.

Again, it depends as jfish said. Hyper-v is designed for small/medium size businesses. VMWare is designed for large/Enterprise environments. VMWare imho is head and shoulders above hyper-v, but others will have other preferences.

Back