Virgin router help

Windy21

Member +
Reaction score
Got a router from Virgin and was following the instruction to connect.

Am I missing something?

When I connect the yellow ethernet cable to the router, it then instructs me to connect it the SURFboard modem which means I have to diconnect the cable that goes to the pc.

How do I get the PC internet connection, I thought that it would still be connect and the laptop would be wireless.

It is a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 if that helps and as far as I can see there is only one ethernet connection that runs into the back of the pc.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Does the router only have one network port?

Routers usually have several ports. You would usually connect the modem to the router using the network cable, then another network cable from the router to the PC and other PC's that are not wireless... Then you set up the laptop to use wireless.

Im not too sure what the Virgin Router is like though...

Thanks your right, it has four ports, I assume that port one will connect to the PC.

Thaks for you help, sometimes you just need pointed in the right direction.

Cheers

:Clap:

Yup, the imput one is usually labelled so you know this one connects to the modem with the network cable... The other ports you can use to plug in any other PC's that you would like to use on the net :)

If you need any network cables you could try ebuyer :)

Thanks your right, it has four ports, I assume that port one will connect to the PC.

Cheers

connect from the modem to wan and from lan to ur computer

Cheers

I would have thought it has 5 ethernet connections. Group of 4 and 1 seperate. The seperate one is usually labelled WAN and goes to your modem.

You can then take the cable that used to run from modem to PC and plug it into any one of the group of 4 on the router to PC instead.

Both the ethernet cables should be straight through with no cross-overs.

Help needed again.

Plugged it in as your and Virgin instructions. All going well for about 10 minutes.

The Laptop is still fine but the PC says there is an unplugged network connection.

Phone virgin and the checked and found that the Ip address dropped to 169.

She realised it and then required it and it still would not change.

She wanted me to phone the £1 a minute help desk and they may!!!!!! have other suggestions.

Does anyone know how I can get the PC and the router to get the IP back.

Had to disconnect and go but to the old modem to log on here for help.

Any suggesitons greatfull appreciated, as I said the laptop is going strong bu the PC and the router just don't want to know.

What version of windows....???

What router...??

How you connected to the router...??

Hopefully we can help more with these questions answered...

Thanks

What version of windows....XP Home

What router...Netgear 54mbps (WGR614-6VGUKS)

How you connected to the router...
(As per Virgin instructions see below)

1. Yellow cable supplied from router to Modem.
2. Original PC cable which connected dirtct to the Modem into port in the Router)

Sorry should have thought of this before posting.

Cheers

I used to have to do this ages ago when I first had V broadband connected... I dont know if this will help... however please try it...

Unplug Router
Unplug all Network Cables
Switch off/Unplug Modem
Switch off PC
Plug in Network cable from PC into Modem (Yes the Modem)
Plug in the Modem again and wait for a couple of seconds for the lights to all start...

Switch on PC
When loaded check you are connected...
Goto Run
Type "CMD"
Type "ipconfig /release"
Switch off PC

Unplug Network cable from PC and Switch off/Unplug modem
Plug Network cable from the Modem into the Router
Plug another Network cable from Router to PC.

Switch on Modem, wait for lights.
Switch on Router

Switch on PC

See if that all works :) I think they used to tie the network card in with the cable modem they stopped doing that, however my one still actually does that, so I have had to give my router the mac address of my original network card...

Tried what you suggest and still the same.

As soon as I put the old modem back in place it goes back to normal.

The router and the PC just don't seem to get the right IP togther.

Googled it and the problem and it appears to be common.

Run out of ideas, any other suggestions before I try and calling Virgin.

Cheers for all your help.

Go into device manager and 'uninstall' your network card, reboot and allow it to be reinstalled, this will reset your network settings.

I would have suggested an IP conflict but that wouldnt connect for 10 minutes and then drop, it wouldnt connect at all.

Messa

Have you tried going to the IP address of your router and going through the config settings and making sure everything is ok???

Have you tried going to the IP address of your router and going through the config settings and making sure everything is ok???

Hi all sorted, deleted adapaters as you said and it was still the same, had a hunt around for some cable and found and old one, plugged that in and all seems to be working. Still puzzled as to why the original cable works fine with the modem, but doesn't with the wirless.

Thanks for everyones help very much appreciate.

Out of interest how do you connect to the router to look at its ip address etc. The virgin disk did all the connecting work for me.

Again thanks:banana::Clap:

Left click start, left click run, type in cmd and hit enter.

Now type in ipconfig /all

This will list all the ip addresses on the computer, you will see one called default gateway it will be something like: 192.168.1.1

Then open up your internet browser (IE, Firefox, etc.) and type that number in the address bar.

This will bring up the router login page.

The router username is always admin
The default password is password or (for older routers) 1234

I hope this helps.

Tony

Cheers thanks for that will give it a go.

Can you tell me what port forwarding is also everyone keeps saying that will be my next problem, not a clue what it is?

Or have a look under the router, it might have the IP address printed on it :)

Yes found on the underside password and username.

Last question honest!!! What is port forwarding as everyone in the work says that is the next problem.

Googled it and still not sure what it's all about.

Cheers again

Its usually when you have more than one pc connected to the net through a router and you want to dedicate a port on one of the computers to something... for example if you have one working as a web server, you would forward port 80... So when an incoming request comes to the router at the connections IP address, if its on port 80 it will get transferred to the PC which its set to forward to :)

You shouldnt really have to worry about it to be honest with you, if all your doing is just connecting to the net, its not really an issue :)

I would just like to thanks you all for you patience and help over the last couple of days, much appreciate.

Know to get the wife off ebay on the wirless laptop and ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back