VIRGIN Moving to Nagra 3 in England?

My point is, is that there has been no announcements, no technical information released, only a youtube video declaring nagra3!

There have been announcements to shareholders etc. Just not card specific (no reason it should be). The major anouncement was the one saying that VM will be using an IPTV system developed by Cisco. The implication was that this would involve a new encryption system.

The reason for silence to customers at this point is that it simply hasn't been fully tested yet. This system is only for very small test areas at present. Once the system is verified i'm sure all customers will be notified before a national rollout (assuming it goes ahead) but there's really no point in notifying people too far in advance of when they may be affected.

btw, the declaration on the Youtube video that its Nagra3 is speculation. Chances are that its not (although, as I said previously, it may be a derivative).

only on there own boxes
well if you left tb working you got them for abit then the ip got blacklisted no more ppv
which i did nt agree with
on other card less boxes you could get the ppv events like boxing

True.

I was referring to the old mosc stick a billion pounds worth of credit on the card trick.

We don't order PPV now, just watch the many streams, or rescan if a new stream is used.

To possible words that might become big over here soon IKS & SLINGER what do you think nozzer?

Last edited:
To possible words that might become big over here soon IKS & SLINGER what do you think nozzer?

Possibly !

But end of the day with these systems your just replacing subs to VM with subs to somebody else. It may be cheaper but your still paying and very likely getting a substandard service (check out the complaints about IKS being "oversubscribed" during peak hours).

The sharks who run these things will undoubtably try to cram as many subscribers on as they can possibly manage to maximise their profits and will no doubt do a flit at the first sign of trouble !

A far better solution, as far as I can see, will be to have small groups of people running their own local card servers for themselves.

question you have to ask is how many customers will cancel their subs to get sky and decent non traffic shaped internet connections as a result of losing free TV

question you have to ask is how many customers will cancel their subs to get sky and decent non traffic shaped internet connections as a result of losing free TV
no I dont - but the answer is probably virtually none

i will go if they bring out nagra 3 cos the service majority of the time is utter shite

on digital kaos they believe N3 will come out but this recent video is nothing more than scare tactics

cloned modems is more serious than cable TV as the bandwidth usage and the use of wingate etc

"When should I swap my Smart Card?

Swap your Smart Card right away. Very soon, your old Smart Card will stop working."

Dumb question:

Virgin are still using N1, but they tell me if I put in my new card (which is alleged to be N3) it will work?

N3 cards work with N1 encryption?

Really?

:err:

Last edited:
basically they will run both N3 and N1 side by side then when they feel confident that everyone has a new card they will in time turn N1 off.

slight problem with this ,

if some of the old subbed (pace) boxes which are now the best part of 10 - 12 yrs old dont take to the new card ( just like the last update which fecked 1000's up) they will be replacing boxes for fun.

A nieghbour has only just had his analogue taken back and replaced with a pace 1000 with the tea cup stains on the top that's there way of upgrading !!.

in theory it make sense to swap and we all knew it was gonna come but there's more organisation in making a pizza than at HQ and their basically taking one giant risk without through testing.
also , say there's 200,000 illegal boxes out , imagine of 50% make a complaint just for the sake of it
lost card,
box fecked
wont boot
cats taken a piss on it
etc,

i think N1 will be here when there throwing roses on me box !!..full of shite aint the word.

on digital kaos they believe N3 will come out but this recent video is nothing more than scare tactics

cloned modems is more serious than cable TV as the bandwidth usage and the use of wingate etc

this hitting the modems now m8 they will be going in months too

lost card : they'll send you a new card.
box fecked: they'll give you an old box that works.
wont boot : see box fecked
cats taken a piss on it: what the card or the box? either way see the 3 above.

I'd say the jobs f*cked m8.

I think the fat virgin is clearing her throat!

I would agree.

All things must come to an end and it's been a good old run.
On the plus side they aren't going NDS which is good if you're a sharing kind of person ;)

I would agree.

All things must come to an end and it's been a good old run.
On the plus side they aren't going NDS which is good if you're a sharing kind of person ;)

how do we know its not?

There is a page on the Virgin media website about the new cards coming out. Seems like then end for us then lol. Will anyone try and hack this new encryption, and if they do will we need a new type of box to watch it on? I see people have mentioned the old Pace boxes, does this mean they will still be able to get all the channels?

Back