Virgin Media sends letters to heavy users

Drunken Master

Inactive User
Reaction score
Virgin Media sends letters to heavy users

As with many broadband services, Virgin Media have been advertising their services as being with no download limits.

Yet as with many other services Virgin Media has found that it is now time to clamp down on those users who tend to use the internet a little more than the average user does.

To this end they have found it necessary send a letter to some of the customers who like to spend a lot of time on the internet and maybe download the odd film now and then, to inform them of the company’s traffic management policy.

They say that this is just a way of informing the customers of what certain changes will mean to them.

Basically what they are saying is that these customers who spend more time on the internet than anyone else are going to have to either pay more or suffer a slower connection speed at busier times of the day.

but then that has to be false advertiseing? selling a connection but only giving half or a quarter of the speed for a good chunk of the day?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I got one of these letters this week. I thought they were going to all subscribers as I wouldn't class myself as a heavy downloader (maybe a 700mb film & a 350mb TV episode over a week?). The traffic shaping policy is definitely a pain, it wasn't included in the original contract I signed.

Don't want to tell them to jam it though as it's still the best option for me.

HH.

same with most dsl isp's who offer unlimited broadband they have a fair usage policy

My speed has been well down tonight on V*rgin my upload has been faster than my download. have checked about 3 times and it's SHITE, nothing I can do but lump it

Well as far as I’m concerned they can shove it were the sun don’t shine. If they don’t like it turn me off. If I receive a letter it will be followed by a call to cancel and if everyone did the same I’m sure they would reconsider their new policy.
And as for them clamping down on the cable hackin think they should get their own house in order first .Most traders I know are employed by them.

I don't see the problem, I just set my downloads for while i'm asleep or at work.

I'm rarely in a hurry to get anything so not to bothered.

But if you pay first class post you wouldn't want it to arrive five days later

Quality quote mate, Respect. Ellie's got a point though, very rarely do I need anything so urgently, I just want it. Not sure about leaving the machine on overnight though............
HH.

[SIGN]I got mine.[/SIGN]​

along with a letter from sky asking if I want to join them.

Back