VIRGIN MEDIA disconnections all the time, anyone give advice?

j4g3d

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im really at my wits end with this, i've had a engineer out 3 times now and this has been going on for 3 months. I get random disconnections from WIFI and LAN randomly, it could go a whole day with no problems or it could disconnect 6 times in a day for 1 or 2 minutes tops.

Called VM they said power levels are off.

1st engineer came out said power levels a tiny bit off in the modem. Replaced superhub (im running a ASUS router)
-Same problem occurred after he left

2nd engineer came out and said power levels tiny bit off and he will replaced all cabling in the house
-Same problems occurred after he left

3rd engineer came out and said power levels are spot on. He changed a junction box of some sort that is on the front of my house and said the likely cause is your ASUS router.

So now i have since replaced the ASUS router with a netgear and im experiencing the exact same problem. I have been told RIGHT from the beginning of all this from a ex VM eng (my friend) that the downstream power levels in the box on the street needs to be boosted. But VM engineers seem to be reluctant to do this.

Heres a screen shot of my downstream power levels that do seem to fluctuate between -6.0 to - 9.5.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

What do i do next? i feel to cancel my broadband as its doing my absolute nut in.

if that was me I would refuse to pay until they sort it, they have to provide you with a working service and as you say yours don't

I had a similar problem but they fixed it over the phone and that's after two engineers had came out, the woman on the phone changed a few settings on the router and its been fine since, I also refused any payment until its was fixed and that got them to hurry up

At the end of the day why should you have to pay for a bad service

Exactly there quick to add £10 for a late payment, my argument is why will should i pay 100% of my bill for x amount of service

Plus when you do get it sorted, make sure you insist on some compensation for your troubles

I'm JUST going through the same problem. My understanding is your power levels need to be positive, but no more than around 10dBm or something. Mine are, but my 152mb line is running at 1mb and it's annoying.

i had the exact same problem, they replaced everything.
turned out to be a networking fault , but only i had complained

I had the same problem, got myself a linksys wrt54g router stuck dd-wrt on it switched off the wireless on vm to modem only and it's never disconnected yet. :)

Back