Virgin Introduces 'Three Strikes' P2P Policy

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
While it regularly comes out near the top of broadband speed polls Virgin Media has recently become ISP enemy number one with its decision to complicate its traffic management rules, question net neutrality and crack down on file sharers. And this isn't going to win hearts and minds either...

Beginning next week, Virgin will begin a 10 week trial to monitor users' and clamp down on anyone who is deemed to be sharing music illegally through peer-to-peer (P2P) services.

Unsurprisingly, the scheme is being run in conjunction with that other organisation we all love to hate - the British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Initially any users deemed to have fallen foul of this snooping will be sent a strict letter from Virgin warning them about the dangers of distributing copyrighted material. A second letter will follow should the customer continue their dodgy habit and lastly persistent offenders will have their service cut off. There was no word if any legal action would then be taken against them.

"Education is absolutely key to reducing the extent of illegal downloading, and we are pleased to be working with Virgin Media on this campaign," said Geoff Taylor, BPI CEO *boo+ hiss*. "We believe that new partnerships with ISPs can help build an internet in which music is properly valued. That will benefit not just musicians, songwriters and labels, but all internet users who love music. This joint campaign with Virgin Media is the first step towards achieving that goal."

Funnily enough, with high numbers of Virgin customers complaining about outages and inconsistent network speeds (I know how they feel) this could be seen as a way out for some trapped in lengthy contracts!

Of course it's probably best to check the impending small print and make sure it won't cost you your house...

By Gordon Kelly
http://www.trustedreviews.com/netwo...Virgin-Introduces-Three-Strikes-P2P-Policy/p1

If I was on Virgin; I would cancel on principal and I don't even download music.

Yepp bye to virgin from me as well, 50mb package soon and now they are implementing this? dont tally up.

ive just read this on the register, im not that shocked they would do this, if they take on phorm then they have the perfect solution to pin pointing the so called infringers. oh well ive been with united artist since 1993, then telepest, and now vermin so 15years of loyal cable service to my house. i think it maybe time to finally cut the cord with virmin and look else ware, this isp cannot be trusted anymore!!!.
i hope branson steps in soon and forbids them to use the trusted name he has built, they are pulling it to shreads.

So! How can they tell if you downloading Music or Videos....How can they tell the Difference between that and STREAMING MEDIA and Gameing...How can they tell if I'm Uploading a few or a Long "ProShow Gold" Home Video to a few peeps, or are they gona say i'm doing Music!!!

Please, Someone Explain to me....

But Again, it's Time we stood up to be counted...LEAVE VM in DROVES n They'll Fold...The BPI won't pay them the money they gona lose.....

persistent offenders will have their service cut off

looks like they will only have 25% of customers left then,what do most people get 10,,20 or even 50 meg for to download a fecking photo :roflmao:

Ports. Most network application operate via a virtual port. This is nothing fancier than a number that the information being sent or received contains. Email for instance generally uses port 25 for sending and web browsers operate over port 80. If you are sending/receiving large amounts of data over regognised p2p ports then its easy for them to detect. I dont know how they are going to identify exactly what you are sharing without interception, which I thought was illegal.

Last edited:
how are they set with newsgroups? sharing at 70k/sec if ur lucky isn't going to do much damage tbh

Back