Virgin D-Link 615 router as Access Point?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
This should be easy, but it's simply not fooking working!

I've already got a couple of TP-Link routers working great in 'Bridge Mode'.
Router 1 is connected to WAN and Router 2 is setup as a wireless extension of Router 1, works great :)

The new D-Link router has an option which automatically sets the router up as an Access Point, according to the manual I simply tick the box that's labeled 'Access Point'......easy eh?

No.

Because it doesn't fecking work. :(

Supposedly ticking this box disables all NAT features, so DHCP is gone, uPNP is disabled and that does happen. The TP-Link router doesn't see the D-Link and vice-versa. I've tried bridging the MAC from the TP-Link to the MAC of the D-Link but I'm getting zilch.

Anyone got any ideas?

Does it give you the option of assigning a manual IP and subnet when in AP mode ?

This should be easy, but it's simply not fooking working!

I've already got a couple of TP-Link routers working great in 'Bridge Mode'.
Router 1 is connected to WAN and Router 2 is setup as a wireless extension of Router 1, works great :)

The new D-Link router has an option which automatically sets the router up as an Access Point, according to the manual I simply tick the box that's labeled 'Access Point'......easy eh?

No.

Because it doesn't fecking work. :(

Supposedly ticking this box disables all NAT features, so DHCP is gone, uPNP is disabled and that does happen. The TP-Link router doesn't see the D-Link and vice-versa. I've tried bridging the MAC from the TP-Link to the MAC of the D-Link but I'm getting zilch.

Anyone got any ideas?

Does it give you the option of assigning a manual IP and subnet when in AP mode ?

No mate. :(

As soon as I tick the box for AP Mode the router is locked down and no further options are available.

@witchy: Ive just flashed my D-Link 615 with DD-WRT firmware... The DD-WRT allows such use... from the DD-WRT Help file..

"WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is a Wireless Access Point mode that enables wireless bridging in which WDS APs communicate only with each other only (without allowing for wireless clients or stations to access them), and/or wireless repeating in which APs communicate both with each other and with wireless stations (at the expense of half the throughput). This firmware currently supports two types of WDS, LAN and Point to Point."

The config page looks like things are set via the mac address?

Cheers for the info D1gg3r. :)

1 question though, is your 615 the version that Virgin media supply?

My model is HW D4 FW 1.00VG - I'm assuming that the VG part means Virgin.

According to netgear this is what you have to do, but not sure if ypu might need to upgrade firmware to achieve:

If you are connecting the D-Link router to another router to use as a wireless access point and/or switch, you will have to do the following before

connecting the router to your network:
• Disable UPnP™
• Disable DHCP
• Change the LAN IP address to an available address on your network. The LAN ports on the router cannot accept a DHCP address from your other router.

To connect to another router follow these steps:

1. Plug the power into the router. Connect one of your computers to the router (LAN port) using an Ethernet cable. Make sure your IP address on the computer is 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is between 2 and 254). Please see the Networking Basics section for more information. If you need to change the settings, write down your existing settings before making any changes. In most cases, your computer should be set to receive an IP address automatically in which case you will not have to do anything to your computer.

2. Open a web browser and enter http://192.168.0.1 and press Enter. When the login window appears, set the user name to Admin and leave the password box empty. Click Log In to continue.

3. Click on Advanced and then click Advanced Network. Uncheck the Enable UPnP checkbox. Click Save Settings to continue.

4. Click Setup and then click Network Settings. Uncheck the Enable DHCP Server server checkbox. Click Save Settings to continue.

5. Under Router Settings, enter an available IP address and the subnet mask of your network. Click Save Settings to save your settings. Use this new IP address to access the configuration utility of the router in the future. Close the browser and change your computer’s IP settings back to the original values as in Step 1.

6. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router and reconnect your computer to your network.

7. Connect an Ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports of the router and connect it to your other router. Do not plug anything into the Internet port of the D-Link router.

8. You may now use the other 3 LAN ports to connect other Ethernet devices and computers. To configure your wireless network, open a web browser and enter the IP address you assigned to the router. Refer to the Configuration and Wireless Security sections for more information on setting up your wireless network.

I've been through all that stuff repeatedly mate, it doesn't connect.

That tutorial is actually for older firmware, the new firmware in my model has a single option that configures the modem automatically for use as an AP. I can still do it manually but they don't connect.

Typical, there is no D4 firmware, lol

Just had a little look around mate.... have a look at this..

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - D-Link DIR-615 D4

I intended to post back but forgot. :)

Yer, I just grabbed the version that you had (D2) and flashed that, it took the firmware no problem and is working perfect as a standard wireless router.

There are an awful lot of options unlocked in this new firmware, so I'll do some reading and try to set it up as an access point tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help mate.

I had WDS setup using the DLink DIR 615 and BUffalo WHR 300 using DDWRT- worked great but problem was due to the way WDS works, the bandwidth on the WiFI was halved for clients and I was getting really shitty speeds (on a 54 Mbps I was getting 20 Mbs). In the end ditched the idea, run a long ethernet cable between the 2 routers, set one up as a AP and no problems at all.

I had WDS setup using the DLink DIR 615 and BUffalo WHR 300 using DDWRT- worked great but problem was due to the way WDS works, the bandwidth on the WiFI was halved for clients and I was getting really shitty speeds (on a 54 Mbps I was getting 20 Mbs). In the end ditched the idea, run a long ethernet cable between the 2 routers, set one up as a AP and no problems at all.

Yeah m8, unfotuantley thats the way WDS works, for each one you pop on along the line the bandwidth halves :(

better off like you say running a cable, and if using dd=wrt turn WAN port to switch and use that way. set it up as a DHCP forwarder and put in ip of DHCP server and should be good to go.

Yeah, it is going to half because half is used to talking to client and the other half to talking to upstream AP. Plus you got to remember inefficencis and other crap so real life throughput could be even less.

I've already got 2 cheapo TP-Link routers bridged wirelessly, the throughput is shit, but for what I'm using it for, it's ideal. Unfortunately a wired network just now is not an option, but I'm soon going to be lifting my wooden fllooring and fitting a carpet. I'll hardwire all 4 corners of my room as I'm laying the carpet.

this evening decided to flash the latest ddwrt firmware, by mistake stuck the Buffalo WGR G300N on the DLink DIR 615 - realised after it flashed when none of the lights came on.. no connection or lights on front when using wired.... but for some odd reason the wifi was still working .. so connected via wifi flashed correct firmware and job done

so if anyone flashes wrong ddwrt firmware on this router, this is the back door way to get it back to life.

Back