Virgin Cutting Channels Next week

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been on the radio and now on bbc news, virgin media will be getting rid of some sky channels like sky one, two I think sky news too and maybe some more.

Apprantly its because Sky is charging Virgin too much to use these channels but Sky deny the claims.

well they can take my stuff out my house and give me back my £85 a month coz sky1 is about the only channel worth watching except sport.

l always wondered why if u plug your cable straight into the tv u get sky one and sky news without encoding , wonder why they ran these free ?

you can still get these on freeveiw box

I dont pay them £85 a month to get the best channels via a freeview box.

l always wondered why if u plug your cable straight into the tv u get sky one and sky news without encoding , wonder why they ran these free ?

These channels are part of the Analogue service. Sky one has been on ntl for years ever since the analogue days up to the present day so it would be a blow to loose this channel even though I don't watch it.

You dont get Sky One on freeview, im not sure of the exact list but I did hear sky one, two and sky news.

I do watch Sky News all the time and watch Sky one occasionally but I think Virgin will try replace these channels with their own versions showing same sort of programmes.

I think they will put all the programmes Sky one shows on their Vod service.

l hope they loss sky one dont watch it but if u have a go on the phone about it they will offer u lots to stay .. 10 mb free this and free that l bet u

l hope they loss sky one dont watch it but if u have a go on the phone about it they will offer u lots to stay .. 10 mb free this and free that l bet u

good idea lol

on bbc news i only cought a quick glimps i saw sky 1 2, news, was there sky sports channels also?

On the news they didnt say they are going ahead with it, they are still in discussion as sky wants almost double the amount the cc was paying to keep the channels?

i found this :-

"The ongoing animosity between Sky and Virgin Media continues to escalate with news that Sky channels may disappear from Virgin Media's cable service from next month.

Sky is thought to have asked for double the rate Virgin Media would normally pay to carry Sky One, Sky Two , Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News.

Talks to resolve the matter have apparently broken down with Virgin Media chief executive Steve Burch telling Radio 4's Today programme that Sky had told Virgin it would not be re-entering negotiations.

Sky told Media Week that its last offer was still on the table and that Virgin Media 'should sort out their priorities and avoid short-changing customers with an inferior and over priced service'.

Last edited:
The way I see it, the more these two companies compete with each other, the consumer will benefit in the long run. At least it will make Sky lower their prices since their packages are way too over priced.

For me personally the biggest loss is going to be Sky Sports News, I get my tv shows elsewhere ad-free, which i think this may actually encourage more people to do...it's not like it's difficult to download these shows nowadays....a google search can find them.

It's a shame that its happening though, it seems Sky have been planning something like this for a while, they threw that advert up on the cable stream weeks ago and they're also getting rid of their freeview channels and are going to start charging for them (Sky News, Sky Three & Sky Sports News) - at the end of the days, it's all about money and Sky are ruthless in squeezing as much money out of people as possible aswell as always trying to crush the competition before it gains momentum.

Seems alot of people are siding with VM on this though.

Don't worry about it guys. There is NO WAY sky will pull the plug on sky1.

I think its quite strange that the BBC is sooooooooo far behind on this story. Ok, forget about the channels that are being lost. The pay channels such as sky movies etc have to be available to telewest and ntl by law. The governing body states that noone should have a monopoly so sky has to allow telewest and NTL a share in the stakes.

Of course this is not true with sky1, sky sports news or sky news as they are free channels on their service. The reports about making them pay channels would only make them available to telewest and ntl again so whoever wrote that bull doesn't know what they are talking about.

Now onto the most interesting part. It seems that most people involved in all these "reports" haven't looked at the other side of things. Virgin media own 50% of UKTV and they own Bravo outright along with quite a few other channels that i cannot remember off the top of my head. If Sky pull their channels Virgin will pull theirs and knowing branson for spitting the dummy i'm pretty sure you would see him splashing the cash to get shows that would normally be shown on sky just to have his own monopoly.

It won't happen folks, its a big bad bluff by Sky that will never follow through so don't worry!

Scott =op

whats the big deal... dont know why people are making a big hoo haa about it.. godsake its only Sky1.. and shite channels like travel etc...

I have a VIP package too.. but I wont phone to cancel my subscription after a stewpay channel..

as for sky, they are greedy ba**ards.. Virjinmedia is a challenge for them with its relaunch and sky has spat the dummy..

Back