Virgin 3.0 hub crawling along at a snail's pace

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I got up today and the router was off, well flashing lights. I did all the usual but nothing then a few hours later it came it but, the password to enter via 192.168.0.1 had changed. Not only had it changed but to neither the default off the sticker or the one I changfed it to.

Since then the speed has gone to sh&te taking from about 30 seconds to a minute to load a single web page. I've ran speed checks but their not worth a flyer but I noticed a couple of the reliable one's couldn't connect to their servers to run test and the upload was super low.

I've been on the blower and they reckon all's well. I took the splitters off and went direct wall to hub and it's still the same. The last thing I need now is to call out some engineer , that I can't be doing with. The last one was a right feckin jobsworth asking a 1000 n 1 questions like, "Were's does that go ?", We don't use them splitters" , who drilled that ?", "what's this for ?".

Another thing, I have noticed a fair bit of freezing over the past month or so but I put it down to the place I connect with :) and cables come splitters but I'm now thinknig it's nothing to do with this, this is fair worse.

Is there anything in the modem settings I could change to try and improve it now I had to factory reset it to get in ?.
Finally, when i first got back to the 192.168.0.1 hub log in after it had been off for a while looked it different with no diag tab underneath the log in box. After I rebooted it reverted back to it's original older login style page as though its updating but it hasn't , I checked.

It's ragging me off no end this considering the cheeky gits have just done a price hike !!

Have a look at the status page in the modem @silverdale.

I had some grief a few weeks ago just before upgrading and their service status page showed everything was fine but the modem wouldn't stay connected.

It might bee that not all of the channels have locked so you'll get poor speeds.

I too am allergic to anyone coming out. "Switch it off then on again", "reboot router...". No...

have you any cheap Chinese devices on wi-fi,if you have take them off your network and reboot router.

Try poking a pin into the reset button hold it down for 30 secs until the hub resets and see what its like from there, you will need all the original passwords though

I did that and what wrecked my head in was, it reset that was fine but the number to enter the hub setup printed wouldn't work. It just kept saying wrong password and neither would the one I changed it to, work that one out. It took four rests the get it working

looks like a dud router, which was why I left virgin as the idiot tech which they kept sending round every time refused to change it.

I just have the cable going to one E2 box with 4 tuners then share that around the house via wireless to Kodi, so when they come round it takes 30 secs to rip out the extra cable, or when they did LOL.

can you not hide your extra links?

I too had this same issue mate and had to go into the settings and change the wireless signal

I played with the settings disabling 2.4ghz and tried connecting first at different signals before doing speed tests , mine where poor until I played with settings.
also have a look where your hub is placed as anything with speakers or electrical stuff will interfere with it drastically

I've racked my brains today as my lad was after going on the net after work for Glastonbury tickets. He ended up going round his m8's it was that p*as poor.
I've done the lot but it was also doing it hard wired. I'm on it now and it's slowish compared to earlier

I've racked my brains today as my lad was after going on the net after work for Glastonbury tickets. He ended up going round his m8's it was that p*as poor.
I've done the lot but it was also doing it hard wired. I'm on it now and it's slowish compared to earlier

Do an netstat on cmd and see what connections you have outgoing

Put the router into modem only mode in the settings. You'll lose all wifi. Then with a wired connection put it back again. I've done this with mine apparently it changes settings that you used to be able to change manually. Worth ago.

Another thing to check is all connections with a spanner. Not just the one into the router where screws into the box on the wall and also outside on the house wall. This happened at my parents the engineer hadn't tightened it up and it was loose. The brown boxes lift up from the bottom.

I'm going to go over everything later today and triple check the lot. I use top qual cable and compression heads not the screw on type which I knocked up.
Things look better this morning but overall I know it ain't running smooth

I ditched my virgin router months ago dropped it to modem mode and got myself a tp-ling c9 router been lovely and stable every since, you do know they can see whats connected to there router wired or wireless I got ask what a duo2 was, told him a freesat box, that's when I changed it.

I always rename all mine or turn off before I talk to them ,
var/etc/hostname
edit in notepad , one's called USB-Buttplug - the other DoubleInturder

Seperate the wifi bands. 2.4ghz and 5g. You can also download a wifi analyzer to see who else nearby is on the same channel. Had this before where other channels free but router doesn't automatically switch to the less used ones.

Seperate the wifi bands. 2.4ghz and 5g. You can also download a wifi analyzer to see who else nearby is on the same channel. Had this before where other channels free but router doesn't automatically switch to the less used ones.
Yeah I've done the WiFi channel check I set mine to 11 very few on it but this problem was with the PC hard wired as well not just WiFi

It seems like you've tried everything. You'll have to call them sounds like a problem their end. I have also had to do this as speed fluctuated at different times. Ended up escalated to executive complaints. Now get a solid 110 anytime of the day.

Oh and don't forget you should get a refund for the months you dont get full speed. I had refunds for months until the problem was sorted.

So Sunday I thought, before I ring I'll go through every friggin cable lead plug the lot.
After spending 1/2 hour round the back the TV and doing nothing bar sneezing I eventually found the problem.
It was a knackered coax cable. Not one of those coming out the splitters but the main feed that just comes through a hole in the wall.

If I wggled it it was ok but as soon as I bent or moved the cable near the wall were it comes in ....woooosh pixelate and eventually the modem goes off.
I cut it back past the knackered point and all's well. I did previously try all the cables but because it was the main feed coming into house and right near the wall it through me a curved ball.
I'm just glad I don't need to call them out I'd have spent a day moving and hiding all the crap travelling round the house.

Back