Video card with HDMI, is this the best buy?

fudgie

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK.

I want to upgrade my video card on the desktop PC.
Reason, my ATI Radeon X1950 pro is not supported buy AMD for Win7.

I'm not a big gamer and just need it to run 2 displays, my monitor and my T.V.

Could anyone tell me more about the display setting's I can use? I know there is extended and clone. But is there a way where some else can use the PC and I watch a movie on the T.V at the same time(PC HDMI 2 HDMI T.V)? Might sound like a stupid question but had to ask.

This is the new video card I'm thinking about getting for my desktop PC.
What do you guy's think?

Sapphire HD 4550 512MB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card including Low Profile bracket

hey fudgie, i think you will need a card with a hdmi output, i tired the dvi to hdmi convertor that came with a 4850 i had it didnt do the audio, you would run another cable for the audio, a card like this m8 would be better i think :)

Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate Edition 512MB GDDR3 HDMI DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

i have the HIS radeon 5770 running which i do gaming or listen to music or watch a film and the wife can watch a movie on the tv at the same time, the cards have a audio card built in, when running through the hdmi all you have to do is make sure that if you say use wmp you change the output of the audio to the ati hdmi device or which ever prog you use i use classic media player which comes with the k-lite codecs which is good for me

FocuS

hey fudgie, i think you will need a card with a hdmi output, i tired the dvi to hdmi convertor that came with a 4850 i had it didnt do the audio, you would run another cable for the audio, a card like this m8 would be better i think :)

Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate Edition 512MB GDDR3 HDMI DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

i have the HIS radeon 5770 running which i do gaming or listen to music or watch a film and the wife can watch a movie on the tv at the same time, the cards have a audio card built in, when running through the hdmi all you have to do is make sure that if you say use wmp you change the output of the audio to the ati hdmi device or which ever prog you use i use classic media player which comes with the k-lite codecs which is good for me

FocuS

Thanks FocuS.
I thank you for your recommendation, but I don't want to spend that much.

This particular version of this card does have HDMI out, I know some of them don't. Sapphire HD 4550 512MB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI HDCP PCI-E.. | Ebuyer.com

After looking at some of the reviews on ebuyer they say if you update drivers the sound works perfectly on this card.

I do use the k-lite codec pack, but prefer GOM media player on the desktop.
But the media player that comes with K-lite I use on my lappies.

So as long as I select the sound on the card I should alright.

Cheers Fudgie :)

make sure your motherboard supports sending audio via the gfx card.

If that card is this,

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4550 512MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card Low Profile - Aria Technology

Then you will be fine.

You need to select 'extend display' not clone if you wish to have different output to monitor then the TV.

Cheers

make sure your motherboard supports sending audio via the gfx card.

Will do

you would be better with Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Aria Technology

next one up less money as this one will do bitstreaming and afaik the 4550 wont? or was that the 4440 hmm...

Nice find, looks like I'm getting the 5450. :)

I ened up getting the XFX 512Mb ATi Radeon HD 5450.
I was able to push the card well over 1920x1080 in extended desktop mode using DVI 2 the monitor and HDMI 2 the T.V. If you hooked up the d-sub that's when you started getting restricted to low resolutions.

No problem with the sound on the HDMI side of the card, I'm guessing it's not the motherboard that's responsible. More like what O/S your running, I have win7 and it auto detected for me.
I also noticed XFX supplied a driver on their website to get XP users up and running when it comes to the sound on the HDMI side of thing's.

I would Highy recommend this card for those that like to work with more than one display at one time and don't want to spend loads, but not for gamming. If you wanted something for gaming I try 57** series.

Thanks guy's for the help.
Cheers Fudgie [Smile]

Back