VC Tattoo - Do you think it's dishonourable?

Is getting the VC Tattooed on your back dishonourable?

• Or course it is, It's the highest Honour and should be respected.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Nah, It's not as if it's on show all the time?

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
A war hero who had a design of his Victoria Cross medal tattooed onto his back has claimed it caused him more pain than being blown up in Iraq.

Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry was struck by a bullet as he guided a Warrior armoured convoy through the flashpoint town of Al Amarah in southeastern Iraq in 2004.

A month later, the young soldier saved more lives in a second ferocious exchange and suffered serious head wounds in a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) assault that left him in a coma.

Iraq war hero Johnson Beharry after receiving the Victoria Cross in 2005

He was awarded the highest military honour the following year, becoming the first living soldier to receive the award in two decades.

It was the first VC awarded since Lieutenant Colonel H Jones and Sergeant Ian McKay received posthumous awards after the Falklands War against Argentina in 1982.

The tattoo took six months to create and the L/Cpl said the pain was so great he simply had to 'grit his teeth and think of the British Army.'

"Having this tattoo was the worst pain I have experienced in my life. I suffered more for this than in the blast", Beharry told the Sun.

"At last I feel the medal is part of me"

His local tattooist, David Groves, said: "It was a dream job for me."

Born on the Caribbean island of Grenada, the former construction worker came to the UK in August 1999.

He enlisted in 2001, serving tours in Iraq, Kosovo and Northern Ireland. He joined only 13 other living holders of the prestigious VC medal.

I voted no on this, as he won it.

If it were any Tom Dick or Harry doing it, then I would have voted yes.

I'm not and never have been a soldier, but I was quite suprised at seeing this guy getting the VC tattooed on his back and showing it off to every tabloid under the sun (Pardon the pun).

I can't say I agree with what he's done. It the Highest honour a British soldier can get and should be respected?

What's your views peeps? I know we have a few ex-army boys here at DW so it would be great to here your views?

V.C.s are usually extremely modest about their decoration and would never dream of seeking publicity the way that Beharry as done. I suppose it's symptomatic of the society we now live in now, but I think it's tacky and disrespectful of the honour.

V.C.s are usually extremely modest about their decoration and would never dream of seeking publicity the way that Beharry as done. I suppose it's symptomatic of the society we now live in now, but I think it's tacky and disrespectful of the honour.

Couldn't agree more.

He earned the real thing and by the sounds of it he went through hell to get it, I see no problem with the tattoo, he is proud and has every right to be.

Most are brought now by a military museum
bet most of the "youth" aint got a clue what it means these days anyway.their medals are asbo's.

Since the guy is a war hero I don't think many people are in a position to judge him about a tattoo. He is obviously very proud of his achievement and if he is the type to shout about it from the roof tops then he has earned the right to do so.

think he did right if he was to lose the original at least he still got the tattoo, i remember watching miami ink and a guy went in and asked for a motto, cant remember what it was exactly, but ami sais he would only do it cos the guy had done military service back in israel and that was what the motto was for, good luck to him and well done i say :Clap:

Personaly I think he's earned the right to have it tattoed anywhere he wants. He earned it and if he wants to show it in this way its his choice. If he hadn't won it and had it tattoed I would say that would be dishonourable.

thebigman

I think a tattoo cheapens it.

Anyone can get a tattoo, a tattoo is just a mark made by someone drawing on you.

This guy was struck by a bullet, and was damaged by an RPG, why did he feel the need to have somebody else draw a badge on him?

Seems like he's saying to the world "Look at me, look at how fantastic I am". It's on his back...not as if he can look at it anytime he wants.

I wonder if Simon Weston has a tattoo of an Exocet, or the Sir Galahad on his back.

I'm not saying that this guys obvious bravery shouldn't be applauded, but to have it on display like that doesn't look good.

Besides, most people nowadays would just think it's a nice bit of tribal ink.

PIC HERE

my $0.02

Storm in a tea-cup if u ask me :)

Back